convert johnson 25hp to 30hp

Dan Wagner

Recruit
Would like to convert my 1999 Johnson 25hp to 30 hp. I've heard it's just a different carb and intake. Anybody know?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: convert johnson 25hp to 30hp

more than that, porting etc. if you don't know what you are doing, good way to ruin a good motor.

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

Compare the parts details on the Bombardier website, and that will tell you the difference. Rick

CATransplant

Admiral

As someone said, you can compare parts numbers over at the BRP parts site. But there's another question you might want to ask before investing the time it will take to find out:

How much is 5 hp worth to you? Let's say the difference is just the carburetor, and nothing else. You're in the $300 territory for the carburetor assembly. Add a few other parts that are likely to be necessary, and you'll be quickly pushing $500.

But, that's not all you need. The 25 and 30 hp engines have different part numbers for the crankcase and cylinder assembly, so you're out of luck anyhow.

But, even if the cost was just $500, would that be worth it on a 10 year old outboard? I'm guessing that the 25 and 30 hp ones have about the same value on the used outboard market, so the easiest way to switch from a 25 to a 30 is probably to sell yours and buy someone's 30 hp.

Modern outboards are pretty much running at peak performance. It's not easy to hop them up, and doing so is rarely worth the time, even if it's cheap enough. You'd gain maybe a few MPH, but darned few.