Wiring help for 1963 28 HP Johnson

cjegrillin

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

I picked up 14' 1970 sears boat and a 1963 johnson 28 hp outboard for $300 and now I'm trying to get the motor up and running. I'm going to get a set of johnson controls, probably the shipmaster ones. There are 4 wires coming out of the engine (Other that the large battery + and -): red, white, black and green. I believe the red is choke. ANy ideas on what the other 3 are? Do I need a solenoid? Any other pointers on this motor would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

cjegrillin

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Wiring help for 1963 28 HP Johnson

Forgot to mention it's a RX-11A if that helps

jasper60103

Commander

There are 4 wires coming out of the engine (Other that the large battery + and -): red, white, black and green.

The wires mentioned sound like the key switch wires. I linked a schematic for you. Also, you will need a solenoid. I included a link to a pic. Btw, I'm working on a RX-10. Just waiting til the ice melts to test it out.

jasper

cjegrillin

Seaman Apprentice

do you know a certain part number or type of solenoid I need?

cjegrillin

Seaman Apprentice

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Electric-Start-Solenoid-Box-1960s-Evinrude-Johnson_W0QQitemZ170310630639QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item170310630639&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

i think i found a solenoid...

jasper60103

Commander

yep, that's it.
Are you doing a remote setup?

cjegrillin

Seaman Apprentice

yeah it will be a remote setup. I just need the solenoid right? Do you know what part number it would be?

jasper60103

Commander

yeah it will be a remote setup. I just need the solenoid right? Do you know what part number it would be?

No, sorry can't help you there.

edit: Hopefully one of the experts will chime in with a part number for you. You may be able to get one here on iBoats.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I have a manual for a 1968 Johnson 33hp motor, which is essentially the same motor as yours. While I have to caution that the wiring may be different than yours, it probably isn't.

The short answer is that the white wire (16 ga.) runs between the start terminal on the starter solenoid and the "S" terminal on the key switch, the black wire (18 ga.) runs between the center terminal on the vacuum cutout switch and one of the "M" terminals (the one between the "S" & "Bat terminals) on the key switch, and the green wire (12 ga.) runs between the hot side (red) of the starter solenoid and the "Bat" terminal on the key switch.

On my diagram, however, the choke circuit has a red/white wire (16 ga.) running from the choke switch to the choke solenoid. The choke switch is fed by a solid red wire (16 ga.) from the "A" terminal on the key switch.

Also, there should be a black/white wire (18 ga.) running from the other "M" terminal to the black wire (18 ga.) that runs between the coil lead assembly and the center post on the vacuum cutout. That wire is spliced to the black wire with a wire connector.

You didn't mention a generator and voltage regulator, but if the motor has/had them, there will be a brown wire (12 ga.) that runs from the "Bat" terminal on the voltage regulator to the "Gen" side of the ammeter. The "Bat" side of the ammeter will have another green wire (10 ga.) that runs back to the "Bat" terminal on the key switch. Notice that this green wire is 10 ga. instead of 12 ga., as was the case with the first one.

I have a couple of these motors, but haven't looked at them in a dog's age, so I am providing this info purely from the wiring diagram.

cjegrillin

Seaman Apprentice

the chart with solenoid part numbers does not cover 1963, is it the same for all 28 hp models?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

this one will work just fine. http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...gd_poid=111829&gd_row=13&**********=604924179

solenoidbasicwiring.jpg

poor quality job but it worked.

MVC-065S.jpg

cjegrillin

Seaman Apprentice

thank you guys so much for your help! I'll let you know how it works out

cjegrillin

Seaman Apprentice

ok, I'm trying to wire it up on the stand so I can work on it. I have the starter solenoid wired up and that works . I know the red wire coming out of the engine is positive for the choke solenoid and that works. That leaves the following wires.

White- I think this should get positive to go to vacuum cutout and safety switch

2 black wires- one goes to the vacuum cutout the other to the kill switch. Are these both grounds?

im putting switches on the wires so I can test it on the stand but something is wrong because I'm smoking the switch. PLEASE HELP!

cjegrillin

Seaman Apprentice

got the white wire figured out. Still working on the 2 black wires. I figured that had to be the + for the ignition so I hooked it to battery positive. Using a spark tester I noticed that even when the motor wasn't cranking over there was constant power going through the plug wires. This made me think that maybe something was wrong with the points, maybe they were grounded out. Then I disconnected the spark plug wire and smoke came from the points :mad: I'm really stumped here. I went ahead and ordered the points tune-up kit but still cant figure out how to get this thing running

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

What did you end up doing with the white wire?

cjegrillin

Seaman Apprentice

the white wire got hooked to the ground side of the solenoid switch ( the smaller terminal for the switch). Thats what the wiring diagram shows.

Now I have 2 black wires left For the killswitch and for the vacuum cutout. Are they supposed to get power for the engine to run? Should I hook them to + or - to turn on the ignition?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Now I have 2 black wires left For the killswitch and for the vacuum cutout. Are they supposed to get power for the engine to run? Should I hook them to + or - to turn on the ignition?

Nooooooo! Do NOT put 12 volts on either of those lines! Those lines, when connected together or to ground, kill the engine by grounding the points. You will burn up stuff if you hook either of them to 12 volts.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

OK, the white wire that you are talking about is the one that runs from the ground/safety switch pole on the solenoid to the base pole on the vacuum cutout. I can't remember if the 28hp engine has a safety switch, but I think it does and that circuit should continue to it via another white wire. The reason why the wire is white, is that it is considered to be part of the start circuitry.

If you now have a wiring diagram for a 28, just follow it in regard to the black wires. They should be grounds for the coils - don't hook them to a positive lead.

cjegrillin

Seaman Apprentice

Nooooooo! Do NOT put 12 volts on either of those lines! Those lines, when connected together or to ground, kill the engine by grounding the points. You will burn up stuff if you hook either of them to 12 volts.

Too late! Those just get grounded to turn the engine off? So there is not a hot wire going into the ignition?

Does anybody know the part number I need for the ignition switch?