Wiring help for 1963 28 HP Johnson

cjegrillin

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Wiring help for 1963 28 HP Johnson

any idea what kind of damage I did or what I need to replace?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

any idea what kind of damage I did or what I need to replace?
You might not have damaged anything if you didn't run the motor. I think it burns up the coils, but I really don't know since I haven't done it before.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Too late! Those just get grounded to turn the engine off? So there is not a hot wire going into the ignition?

These motors do not require a battery to run. The only thing that needs to be hooked up to a battery is the starter and the electric choke solenoid, if equipped.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Apparenty you didn't read the first post that I made. The key switch is fed by the green wire that runs between the battery pole on the solenoid and the "Bat" terminal on the key switch.

In most of the posts like this, I make a recommendation that an OEM manual be purchased before attempting repairs. I do it so often that I must sound like an unofficial salesman for iboats, because the company stocks them. This situation is a case in point why it is so important to have the right information.

Do yourself a favor. Put the tools down until you get the proper manual.

cjegrillin

Seaman Apprentice

ok here the update-

I have a manual.

Put the new points in.

When I pull it over (or use the starter) I still get no spark. I tested the spark plug wires. One of them is junk BUT There is no spark from either wire though.

Is there a way to test if the vacuum cutout switch is grounding out the points?

Does anyone know what the resistance should be through the coils?

Am I missing somoething?

cjegrillin

Seaman Apprentice

There are 4 wires coming out of the engine (Other that the large battery + and -): red, white, black and green.

The wires mentioned sound like the key switch wires. I linked a schematic for you. Also, you will need a solenoid. I included a link to a pic. Btw, I'm working on a RX-10. Just waiting til the ice melts to test it out.

jasper

Hey Jasper-

On the schematic you sent me, it shows the armeture plate. There are 2 wires ( Black line and dotted line) that connect to the armeture plate. On those wires there are 2 boxes with X's in them. What are those? I'm trying to figure out what is grounding out my points.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

ok here the update-

I have a manual.

Put the new points in.

When I pull it over (or use the starter) I still get no spark. I tested the spark plug wires. One of them is junk BUT There is no spark from either wire though.

Is there a way to test if the vacuum cutout switch is grounding out the points?

Does anyone know what the resistance should be through the coils?

Am I missing somoething?

If you look in the ignition chapter of the manual that you purchased, you should find information on testing your vacuum cutout switch.

You did buy an OEM manual, didn't you?

cjegrillin

Seaman Apprentice

so according to my manual, if 12V power is hooked up to a coil it will junk the coil. Is that correct? Anybody know how to test it?

cjegrillin

Seaman Apprentice

ok lesson learned. If you hook 12v power up to the coils in a magneto system, you will burn up the coils. I just picked up a 1974 johnson 40 hp. Looks lie I will focus on getting that going without burning things up. Thanks for your help though, you guys know your stuff and tell it straight.