• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Wiring help for 1963 28 HP Johnson

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring help for 1963 28 HP Johnson

Hi,

I picked up 14' 1970 sears boat and a 1963 johnson 28 hp outboard for $300 and now I'm trying to get the motor up and running. I'm going to get a set of johnson controls, probably the shipmaster ones. There are 4 wires coming out of the engine (Other that the large battery + and -): red, white, black and green. I believe the red is choke. ANy ideas on what the other 3 are? Do I need a solenoid? Any other pointers on this motor would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Wiring help for 1963 28 HP Johnson

Forgot to mention it's a RX-11A if that helps

Comment

There are 4 wires coming out of the engine (Other that the large battery + and -): red, white, black and green.

The wires mentioned sound like the key switch wires. I linked a schematic for you. Also, you will need a solenoid. I included a link to a pic. Btw, I'm working on a RX-10. Just waiting til the ice melts to test it out.

jasper
      '77 Crestliner Voyager Deluxe 16' (semi V), Spartan WondeRoll tilt trailer, '81 Johnson 25 hp, '88 Johnson 30 hp, '87 Evinrude 30 hp

Comment

do you know a certain part number or type of solenoid I need?

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Electric-Start-Solenoid-Box-1960s-Evinrude-Johnson_W0QQitemZ170310630639QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBo at_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item170310630639&_t rksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12|39 %3A1|240%3A1318

i think i found a solenoid...

Comment

yep, that's it.
            Are you doing a remote setup?
            '77 Crestliner Voyager Deluxe 16' (semi V), Spartan WondeRoll tilt trailer, '81 Johnson 25 hp, '88 Johnson 30 hp, '87 Evinrude 30 hp

Comment

yeah it will be a remote setup. I just need the solenoid right? Do you know what part number it would be?

Comment

Originally posted by cjegrillin View Post
                yeah it will be a remote setup. I just need the solenoid right? Do you know what part number it would be?
                No, sorry can't help you there.

edit: Hopefully one of the experts will chime in with a part number for you. You may be able to get one here on iBoats.

Comment

http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfinde...=092866399&dz=[VE::Template%20can't%20find:%20dz]&gd_grid_id=541&gd_partfinder=1&gd_poid=111828&gd_ row=15&**********=418025774

Comment

I have a manual for a 1968 Johnson 33hp motor, which is essentially the same motor as yours. While I have to caution that the wiring may be different than yours, it probably isn't.

The short answer is that the white wire (16 ga.) runs between the start terminal on the starter solenoid and the "S" terminal on the key switch, the black wire (18 ga.) runs between the center terminal on the vacuum cutout switch and one of the "M" terminals (the one between the "S" & "Bat terminals) on the key switch, and the green wire (12 ga.) runs between the hot side (red) of the starter solenoid and the "Bat" terminal on the key switch.

On my diagram, however, the choke circuit has a red/white wire (16 ga.) running from the choke switch to the choke solenoid. The choke switch is fed by a solid red wire (16 ga.) from the "A" terminal on the key switch.

Also, there should be a black/white wire (18 ga.) running from the other "M" terminal to the black wire (18 ga.) that runs between the coil lead assembly and the center post on the vacuum cutout. That wire is spliced to the black wire with a wire connector.

You didn't mention a generator and voltage regulator, but if the motor has/had them, there will be a brown wire (12 ga.) that runs from the "Bat" terminal on the voltage regulator to the "Gen" side of the ammeter. The "Bat" side of the ammeter will have another green wire (10 ga.) that runs back to the "Bat" terminal on the key switch. Notice that this green wire is 10 ga. instead of 12 ga., as was the case with the first one.

I have a couple of these motors, but haven't looked at them in a dog's age, so I am providing this info purely from the wiring diagram.
                    Please don't PM me on advice issues - let's keep that in the forums, so that everyone can benefit. Please note that I do not email PDFs, etc. I have a bandwidth limited aircard for internet access. My avatar does not mean I have any offical link to iboats. I just like it!

Comment

the chart with solenoid part numbers does not cover 1963, is it the same for all 28 hp models?

Comment

this one will work just fine. http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfinde...****=604924179

poor quality job but it worked.

FLORIDA GATORS
                        TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                        That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

thank you guys so much for your help! I'll let you know how it works out

Comment

ok, I'm trying to wire it up on the stand so I can work on it. I have the starter solenoid wired up and that works . I know the red wire coming out of the engine is positive for the choke solenoid and that works. That leaves the following wires.

White- I think this should get positive to go to vacuum cutout and safety switch

2 black wires- one goes to the vacuum cutout the other to the kill switch. Are these both grounds?

im putting switches on the wires so I can test it on the stand but something is wrong because I'm smoking the switch. PLEASE HELP!

Comment

got the white wire figured out. Still working on the 2 black wires. I figured that had to be the + for the ignition so I hooked it to battery positive. Using a spark tester I noticed that even when the motor wasn't cranking over there was constant power going through the plug wires. This made me think that maybe something was wrong with the points, maybe they were grounded out. Then I disconnected the spark plug wire and smoke came from the points I'm really stumped here. I went ahead and ordered the points tune-up kit but still cant figure out how to get this thing running

Comment

Working...
                              X