Calling Johnson experts - Johnson outboard 1996 200 no spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

natecollins1

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1996 Johnson 200 hp outboard with a no spark condition on all cylinders.

I have changed out the stator, timer base, and power pack with all new CDI components. I have about 165 DVA volts on the charge coil (brown leads) loaded and about 170 volts unloaded. I have about 0.6-0.8 DVA volts on the timer base leads. I have 50 DVA volts on the power coil (orange leads) unloaded and 25 DVA volts loaded. All of this seems good. I disconnect all main wiring harness connections between the boat and engine before attempting to start engine. I have tried to disconnect the shift position switch lead and kill switch lead, but that did not help. I have tried to disconnect the tan temp wire, but that did not help. I have tried to disconnect the black/white temp switch wire, but still no luck.

Can anyone out there help me find other items to look at & test? Thanks for your help in advance.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Calling Johnson experts - Johnson outboard 1996 200 no spark

At first glance it appears as tho you lost both ignition modules, but before spending that much money I would make double sure.

Rapair/CDI Ignition troubleshooting manual is available free

http://www.rapair.com/Downloads/tabid/55/language/en-US/Default.aspx

http://www.rapair.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=OTMbPbGaMBs=&tabid=55&mid=384&language=en-US

Recheck your work compared to their troubleshooting guide, they literally wrote the book on ignitions, trust them.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check kill switch, unplug wiring harness and jump solenoid, there have been more than one ignition switch go bad.

natecollins1

Seaman Apprentice

This engine does not have 2 separate ignition modules, but instead one power pack. I am not sure exactly what the guts of the power pack look like, but maybe their are two sides to it. Anyway, I thought something may have damaged the first replacement power pack. That is why I got a second new pack and then disconnect all wiring connectors between the boat and engine harness. Basically I started with 3 brand new components and nothing outside the motor that could ground it or short it out. I talked with the guys from rapair/cdi on the phone. They told me if I got the results that I am getting to then send in all three components for them to look at.

natecollins1

Seaman Apprentice

I have already disconnect the kill switch and wiring connectors coming from the boat. I then used a remote switch at the starter solenoid to test. This did not work.

daselbee

Commander

Engine must spin at least 250-300 rpm. Remove plugs for faster spin. Use good fresh bolted battery connections, not jumper cables.
Sounds like it is not spinning fast enough, considering all the parts you have swapped in.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Take a very close look at all the connectors.

If it remember, there is un-used holes in a couple of the sockets, if even one wire is in the wrong hole, thus not making the connection it is supposed to, then the system fails.

daselbee

Commander

What happened here? What was the resolution?

CapTWilly1127

Recruit
Try moving the power pack wire from the working side since its (on a working ignition coil) to the (non working) side and see if it fires. A good route of troubleshooting would be if you have fire on the left 3 and know those 3 leads off the power pack are supplying the ignition coil , then take that and try that wire on the ignition coil / side that is not working. If you get fire, then you know the issue could be either the ignition coil or something related to the power pack. You need voltage out of the power pack supply line to IG coil. Could be a bad harness PIN, not sure but at least check what i mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.