85 evinrude 140 crankshaft seal replace

lekslk

Seaman
HI There,

Can te lower cranshaft seal be changed without splitting crankcase?
Thanks,
Lance

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 evinrude 140 crankshaft seal replace

Well, I haven't done a 1985, but have had plenty of earlier models apart that were of similar construction and I say the seals can be replaced without splitting the crankcase.

Remove all the screws from the crankcase bearing head, including the small ones near the center, and then the head will pull out of the crankcase. It is a slip fit with o-rings. Then the seals are replaced in the head as usual.

The ball bearing is snap-ringed to the crankshaft and will stay there as you pull the head off of it. It is a snug but not press fit. In fact the same thing applies even if you had the case split.

Hint: to reinstall, insert a couple of long screws (with their heads cut off) into the bearing retainer plate to act as guide pins when you reinstall the head. Otherwise, you can't find the holes with the head in the way.

And use some sealer under the heads of the small screws.

Just my 2c.

lekslk

Seaman

Thanks for he reply, I will give it a shot. I really did not want to split the case just to cange a seal.
Thanks,
Lance

reeldutch

Lieutenant

how will you get the 4 retainer bolts back in the retainer plate?

lekslk

Seaman

Well I did replace the seal & bearing while I was there without splitting the case. I put 2 long bolts into the bearing retainer put some o-ring lubricant on & tapped it back in with the handle of a hammer. Then I put in 2 bearing retainer bolts in, removed the 2 long bolts I used to line it up, & installed the other 2 bolts. Good thing I did pull it out cause the bearing was pitted & race was actually cracked. thanks for your opinions.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

how will you get the 4 retainer bolts back in the retainer plate?

As I said, use a couple of long bolts with the heads cut off as guide pins. Install the bearing head over the guide pins, which will align the holes. Then start two of the retainer bolts and then remove the guide pins and do the other two retainer bolts.

Same as doing a gearcase bearing carrier.