Engine painting with car paint?

ridnlow

Seaman
Hi all, just curious, if I go to the local paint store, buy primer, my paint and clear and paint my engine will it last? Or is there a special boat engine paint that holds up in salt water etc better? I have a gravity feed spray gun and air compressor to do the job. Just want to make my engine look new again its a 2000 175 FICHT.
Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine painting with car paint?

google tempo paints. it holds up as well as anything.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Sorry - I have to disagree. I've tried all the rattle can's. I think their all junk. I'd go with a good auto paint. I'm using a PPG paint with expoy primer and it looks fantastic. Way better than a factory finish. Did my lowers with rattle can two years ago and they look like I've never touched them.

I paid almost $300 for a gallon of paint, reducer, primer and catalyst. I'm painting two motors so you could probably get by with a quart or two of color and save $120 or so. For a year 2000 motor I'd definitely buy good paint unless you like painting alot :)

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Still need to paint mine, but I've been told to make sure to use a "zinc chromate primer."

MAS

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I completely painted my old '76 Johnson 85hp with cans of spray BMC/OMC/Johnson/Evinrude paint. It turned out great and is holding up perfectly after 4 years.

I have often gotten poor results with hardware and auto parts store spray cans. However, the Johnnyrude spray paint is exceptionally good stuff. I did prep the motor by cleaning with an abrasive pad and acetone. Also, I covered any bare aluminum areas with zinc chromate primer. It worked for me...

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You only need the etching primer if you have bare metal, if you are painting over existing paint all you need to do is scuff with either a Scotch Brite pad or 400 sandpaper, all you need to do is ruff up the surface so the new paint sticks.

I just redid mine with Dupli-Color spray can paint but I used a good automotive clear and an HVLP gun.

If you go with a good single stage or base/clear auto paint you should be fine, just prep the motor really well before painting, 95% of painting is getting ready to paint.

Good luck.

BaitThrower

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used Tempo spray can on my Suzuki 5Hp that seemed to hold up well. Used Tempo on my Johnson 15Hp that has been ok too, but got a few chips in it already. Seems reasonable quality but you gotta do the prep work first to give it the best chance of sticking and holding.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I used the zinc chromate and OMC paint and that worked best for me. I think the OMC paint is more designed for the water, anyhow.:cool: