Custom Pressure Fuel Tank 1954 Evinrude

benjoefoe

Cadet
I've been reading the post on pressurized tanks but did not see if anyone has ever tried to make there own. The tanks need to hold only about 2-3 PSI so I was thinking of making one out of a plastic tank. Just wondering how exactly are they made and what I need to build it. Do I need a check valve on the fuel output or air in line?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Custom Pressure Fuel Tank 1954 Evinrude

Its a lot simpler to add a small pump to the engine,
do a search theres a few posts with pics dealing with this subject.

I bought an old pressure tank off ebay for my old 10hp.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

actually the pump is a little complex, with all kinds of gaskets and orings. basically after the motor is started, the motor pumps air into the tank, forcing fuel to the motor.

it could probably be done like an old coleman lantern, with the primer, then the motor would take over. it would be a lot of modification to an existing plastic tank.

coolguy147

Commander

u have to take in mind that sometimes the pressure maybe even build to even more then that! the real pressure tanks had a safety deivce which i believe opened at 7 psi? but probably be easier to buy a real pressure tank. but a fuel pump would cost almost about as much as a pressure tank so think about it watch the other peoples posts on what they think

benjoefoe

Cadet

thanks for the comments! Yeah a pressure release valve would be a good idea.

wbeaton

Commander

Don't use a plastic tank unless you want to create a bomb. Just find an old pressure tank. Lots of them around and they only cost $30-100.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Do the math: 7psi times 144 square inches (one square foot) equals 1008 pounds. That is a half ton of pressure trying to blow a 12 inch square side panel of the tank out.

Please stay away from me and my family with that plastic tank concoction!!!!

BTW, normal operating pressure of the pressure tank system is 4-5psi, not 2 or 3.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I would NEVER make my own pressure tank. It would be a bomb waiting to happen. And if you do, don't take your family in it! Haven't you ever seen a plastic tank when it has sat in the sun for awhile? It's roundish like a balloon. You want to add additional engine pressure to that? Please buy a used pressure tank.

Or as others have said, just add on a fuel pump. Safe and easy. There's many threads on this site on how to do it.

coolguy147

Commander

a fuel pump i think will cost as much as a good pressure tank?

hammerhandle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Take the advice of the professionals in the previous post's ,,DO NOT use a pressurized plastic tank. you have 2 choices, search for an original factory pressure tank or add a few pump so you can use a single line application, there are many post on here with either choice.do your homework(read the many post articals on both )FIRST, there are many people that will help you out. cheers

OMC-boy5.5

Seaman

bump...

I was wondering if you guys think I could make a custom metal gas tank out of some scrap stainless steel plates (around 1/8" thick or so) By welding them up and making sort of a steel 'fuel cell' kind of like a race car's fuel tank. I do have the original tank and pump mechanism though, so I was thinking that I'd just cut the top of the new tank so that I could bolt the original handle/primer mechanism right on.

I was thinking of doing this because I am too lazy to clean out the rusty and pitted inside of the old one..... Not to mention, it would look pretty B/A if I used diamond plate or something.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Stick to making cheese. LOL.:):)

OMC-boy5.5

Seaman

so, not a good idea?

I'm thinking it might be the best to just bring it to one of my buddies powder coating shops to be sandbasted inside. That should work pretty good.

Otherwise, At this pace I'm in for at least another 5 hrs of hard labor on this tank to get it clean.... and I don't enjoy scuffing, sanding, and rinsing repetitively.

Anybody have any cheap tricks to getting rid of this kind of rust? I've been using a Copper Dish 'scourer' pad and some 'soft scrub' toilet cleaner (kind of abrasive and seemed to help). I've got one side of the tank pretty well cleaned with this method (took about an hour). Then with this method, I'm still gonna have to sand out the remaining rust that's deeper in the pits.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Sounds to me your better off looking for a better tank or go with a pump.All that rust may have weakoned the tank anyway. If the loose rust is out you could use one of the tank coating systems.Theres a picture of a pontoon, in the pontoon section, that exploded I think with under 10 lbs of pressure.