need info about jon boat transom

Papa G

Cadet
I have a 14ft jon boat, that has a 20inch transom. Problem the 89 Evenrude 15hp has a long shaft,dropping it to low in the water.(so I'm told, causeing steering , problems) I think I need to raise the motor up at least 4 inches so that the plate is within 2 inches, of the bottom of the keel. What need to be done.

Papa G

Cadet
Re: need info about jon boat transom

I have a 14ft jon boat, that has a 20inch transom. Problem the 89 Evenrude 15hp has a long shaft,dropping it to low in the water.(so I'm told, causeing steering , problems) I think I need to raise the motor up at least 4 inches so that the plate is within 2 inches, of the bottom of the keel. What need to be done.
:confused::confused:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Click the thumbnail to see how mine is rigged on my little clamming boat.

Attachments

• Transom Bracket.JPG
    Transom Bracket.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You probably have a 15 inch transom and a 20" motor.Unless the 15 is a sail model (don't know if there is such a thing).You may be able to use a jack plate to get the height you need.Jack plate would allow you to fine tune the height.You could also rebuild the transom for more height but would limit your adjustment.You really need the antivent plate about even with the bottom.
If it is a sail model I would seriously consider selling it and getting the right motor.It may be geared differently makeing it difficult to use in that application.Could also limit prop selection.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ekeke, nice simple jackplate, i beleive i would want the angle mounted to transom, to be a bit longer, to get a thru bolt lower on the transom, to eliminate any "twist" on the upper transom. other than that very nice design. stealing the picture. be sure to use large washer in the inside.

Papa G

Cadet

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be looking for some angle aluminum to fix the transom for the 15 hp evenrude.