2006 Evinrude E-Tech 60 HP 4 stroke

Fitwon2002

Recruit
I am about to buy a 2006 Lund Classic Sport 1660 which weighs about 1,000 lbs with a 83 inch beam and 16'3" length. It is powered by a 2006 Evinrude 60HP 4 stroke.

What do you folks think about this motor--compared to a Mercury, Honda, Suzuki, or Yamaha.

Does this motor have problems I should know about? This boat has only been used four times and always garaged.

I will be using this boat at 4 to 6,000 feet elevation here in Central Oregon (50 lakes within 50 miles of my cabin) http://forums.iboats.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks, Fitwon2002

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: 2006 Evinrude E-Tech 60 HP 4 stroke

If the motor is a 2006 Evinrude ETEC, its not a 4 stroke. ETEC motors are 2 stroke only, and as far as I know, 4 stroke motors are no longer being made under the evinrude name.

OMC was bought by the Canadian company, Bombardier (BRP). They have focused their lineup on the Evinrude name and the ETEC technology. They still make a small lineup of Johnson motors, which seem to be all 4 stroke, and range from 2.5hp to 25hp. The Bombardier web page does show a link for 2 stroke Johnsons, but it is a dead link.

Depending on who you talk to, ETECS are either total garbage or the most wonderful motor on the planet. I tend to think of them as pretty good motors and BRP has a good repuation across its very wide product range. They make everything from business jets to snowmobiles to jet skis, go-carts and ATVs. They also make a very cool three wheeled vehicle called a "Spyder," which is sort of a cross between a car and a motorcycle.

My point in mentioning all of this stuff is that BRP is a very divirsified company with a great deal of very inpressive engineering experience. I'm a huge fan of old outboards and boats, but if I felt like blowing about $18,000, I drop a pair of ETEC 90hp motors on my latest project boat in a heartbeat.

Like any used purchase, "buyer beware" definately applies. The good news is that the ETEC motors have an Engine Management Module (EMM) that records a lot of information, pertaining to how the engine has been run in the past. With that in mind, make your offer contigent upon an inspection by a certified ETEC mechanic. He/she will be able to tell you if the motor has ever been overheated, etc. They can also give a general assessment on the motor.

If you do buy the boat, make sure you get with a BRP authorized dealer at home, so that you can learn a few things about the ETEC. There are some things that are unique to it, so you will want to be sure that you understand its operating characteristics and requirements thoroughly.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i don't recall evinrude ever building a 4 stroke the built ficht, then etec, Johnson had some 4 strokes, but they were redressed suzuki's.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The 60 HP E-tec is indeed a two stroke and if it makes any difference to you, it is a two cylinder whereas the other engines you mentioned are 4 cylinders so they might be a tad smoother running at slow speeds. Four stroke motors do have some maintenance issues that while they don't present any problems other than the inconvenience of having to haul the rig to the dealer for the adjustments and checks, the price for that service can be significant. The E-tec has no belts or chains to break or adjust, no valves to adjust, no oil and filter changes, and they have an excellent warranty program. Winter layup is also a very simple process if you need to winterize the engine. All of that simply means all of the engines you mention are great these days. Since this is a used boat I would suggest you have a dianostic check done by an E-tec dealer. They can tell you the number of hours and a host of other data recorded by the engine management system.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The Etec is a 2 stroke that meets or exceeds all CARB requirements.
It is used on official boats on Lake Tahoe which is restricted to only CARB approved motors.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

i don't recall evinrude ever building a 4 stroke the built ficht, then etec, Johnson had some 4 strokes, but they were redressed suzuki's.

I think you are right, TD. I was thinking that ERude might have during the period that the 4 stoke Johnsosn started showing up. As I think about it now, I have never seen a 4 stroke Rude.

I also agree that the 4 stroke Johnsons appear to be rebadged Suzukis. I was looking at the BRP lineup last night, and the Johnsons look just like the Suzukis, except that they are white.

Fitwon2002

Recruit

If the motor is a 2006 Evinrude ETEC, its not a 4 stroke. ETEC motors are 2 stroke only, and as far as I know, 4 stroke motors are no longer being made under the evinrude name.

OMC was bought by the Canadian company, Bombardier (BRP). They have focused their lineup on the Evinrude name and the ETEC technology. They still make a small lineup of Johnson motors, which seem to be all 4 stroke, and range from 2.5hp to 25hp. The Bombardier web page does show a link for 2 stroke Johnsons, but it is a dead link.

Depending on who you talk to, ETECS are either total garbage or the most wonderful motor on the planet. I tend to think of them as pretty good motors and BRP has a good repuation across its very wide product range. They make everything from business jets to snowmobiles to jet skis, go-carts and ATVs. They also make a very cool three wheeled vehicle called a "Spyder," which is sort of a cross between a car and a motorcycle.

My point in mentioning all of this stuff is that BRP is a very divirsified company with a great deal of very inpressive engineering experience. I'm a huge fan of old outboards and boats, but if I felt like blowing about $18,000, I drop a pair of ETEC 90hp motors on my latest project boat in a heartbeat.

Like any used purchase, "buyer beware" definately applies. The good news is that the ETEC motors have an Engine Management Module (EMM) that records a lot of information, pertaining to how the engine has been run in the past. With that in mind, make your offer contigent upon an inspection by a certified ETEC mechanic. He/she will be able to tell you if the motor has ever been overheated, etc. They can also give a general assessment on the motor.

If you do buy the boat, make sure you get with a BRP authorized dealer at home, so that you can learn a few things about the ETEC. There are some things that are unique to it, so you will want to be sure that you understand its operating characteristics and requirements thoroughly.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Thank you Jay! Wow! I learned a lot from you folks. Growing up in the Midwest, Evinruds were the motor to own. Now at higher altitude in Oregon, I wonder why I don't see more Evinrudes. I will have the e-tec mechanic have a quick look at the engine. That is really good advice. I will also find the closet e-tec trained mechanic in region before I sign the deal. The boat is located out of state in the West. Thanks again to all!!