Seloc vs Clymer Manual?

travelship

Cadet
I have a 1976 Evinrude 70hp. Which is the better repair manual? Or do I need/should I get both? Or is something else even better?

travelship

Cadet
Re: Seloc vs Clymer Manual?

I see on Amazon.com that I can get both with Runabout Renovation for $65. I may just go that route.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

IMO, garbage v. junk.

Get yourself an OEM manual - it is probably available right here at iboats. The aftermarket manuals try to cover a wide range of motors, both in terms of HP and year of manufacture. The end result is that they tell you little about the motor that your are actually trying to fix or service.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Are parts still readily available for this engine?
It is possible to check availability of official parts From this site although other parts may also be available else where.

The above site will also give updates on part numbers and alternatives by clicking on the magnifier next to the part number

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The problem with Seloc/Clymers is that they cover such a huge number of motors they can't go into any detail on any of them, the last one I saw covered 22 engines from 2 to 115 horse or something like that.

An OEM manual covers only your particular engine, if it is in the manual it is about your motor, pays for itself the first time you use it.

dreadinger

Seaman Apprentice

I bought an OMC manual for mine on EBAY for 20 bucks. It only covers a couple of models in my motor year and is very detailed.

markh28

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will agree. I have some Clymers and Selocs at home. They have served a purpose for me for what I was doing at the time. I found the Factory Service manual on ebay for my Force 50hp for $12 so i snagged it up. I was amazed at the detail level and the steps and pictures in it that are for the EXACT same model as my motor. They are more expensive but as you will read 100 times in this forum they are worth it. Also beware of what you get on ebay because they like to sell the "factor service manuals" on cd and they turn out to be Selocs or Clymers copied and put into pdf (that you cant even search in). Just ask questions and make sure of what you are getting.

I will say this about the Clymer I have for my 7.5 HP Chrysler, the instructions on rebuilding the carb were pretty good because I did it and Im not really a carb guy. So they arent total junk. They are just broad and not specific enough for most people (I think there were 4 different carb models discussed in mine)

iwombat

Captain

Whatever kind of paper clymer uses soaks up oil and coffee better than the seloc. But, that's all either one is really good for.

Go OEM and don't look back.

KLINDWW

Seaman

You asked about the parts availability for this motor. I have the same motor and parts are no problem. You can get most OEM parts for this motor along with many of the parts being sold from aftermarket suppliers at cheaper prices.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Consider getting the Seloc and Clymer manuals in addition to the OEM manual. The extra costs for these extra manuals is minor compared to what you save paying a mechanic to do the work. When I bought my used 150HP motor and committed to doing all of my own maintenance and repairs, I bought all three manuals and was glad I did.

If you are new to outboard motor repair and maintenance, then you will find some things in the Solec and Clymer manuals that will add to your general knowledge above what you will learn from the OEM manual only. The Clymer and Seloc manuals have more in the way of general discussions and explanations on maintenance and repair tools, techniques, troubleshooting, etc., which could be helpful to a newbie.

On the other hand, an experienced owner/mechanic can definitely get by with only the OEM manual and will definitely feel that the extra manuals are unnecessary and unhelpful.

Just my thoughts...

wbeaton

Commander

garbage v. junk.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title. However, either is better than nothing. I have both and I have used them, but they are no substitute for the factory manual.

I also want to commend you for doing the right thing and getting the manual. So many don't.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Also beware of what you get on ebay because they like to sell the "factor service manuals" on cd and they turn out to be Selocs or Clymers copied and put into pdf (that you cant even search in). Just ask questions and make sure of what you are getting.

+1 on this advice!

There are a 'ton' of eBay sellers, that are pirating the Seloc, and Clymer, manuals...by scanning them to a CD. They usually word the ad to suggest that you are getting the OEM manual.

This is, of course, illegal...and I am in the process of letting Clymer know that I received one of these. When I complained to the seller...he posted a negative response to my 100% feedback history.

To be continued...!

travelship

Cadet

Thanks everyone. I think I will start by buying the OEM manual, probably here from iboats. I've seen them slightly cheaper, but as others have noted, you can't be sure of what you're getting. I'd rather support this site anyway, it has already provided me a wealth of information. Watch for a resto thread from me, I'll be starting my deck/stringer job very soon. I just purchased a 1976 Glastron T-156, and I'm pretty excited about it. My first boat, though I have been around boats all of my life. I've always just bummed rides from my friends with boats (best kind of friends to have!:D) , but that is getting harder to do now that I have a growing family of my own.

IMG_8851.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_8881.jpg
[/IMG]