• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Adding Electric Start - 1984 Johnson 25 HP?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Electric Start - 1984 Johnson 25 HP?

Is there some kind of "kit" that can be purchased to add electric start to a 1984 Johnson 25 HP short shaft tiller? It's not that hard to start, but it sure would be nice to turn a key and go rather than standing up to pull and to be honest outboards of this vintage and HP are not, nor were they ever easy to start cold. I started thinking, I'm carrying the battery (for the trolling motor) so why not just get electric start?

Over time I've figured out the right prime/choke/pull sequence to start it in as few pulls as possible, but the old girl is cold blooded and in Canada last year when the night temps got to 35, she was a real pain to get running in the morning.

By "kit" I mean something that would give me the ability to add the electric start by myself, so I guess I'm looking for some way to get all the right parts and instructions in one go.

I'm sure a mechanic could order the right parts and do it for me, but I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't want to pay the kind of money that would cost. In addition to adding the starter (and I'm assuming there's an alternator involved as well?) and hooking up the wiring, there is the question of where does the ignition key switch go on a tiller model of this vintage? Is there a cutout for it on the flat panel down by the choke and stop button on the front of the outboard? Or does it need to be mounted elsewhere in the boat?

Grouse

Re: Adding Electric Start - 1984 Johnson 25 HP?

yes there is, http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index....cfd8a6471c0f7f
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Does the "starter motor assembly" include everything necessary for the conversion?
      1989 Bayliner Ciera 2150, 5.8L OMC;
      1975 Johnson 6;
      Saturn SD365, 2009 Yamaha 15 2 stroke.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Tash, the link doesn't really bring anything up, did it get cut off by chance?

I guess I have the same question as JS, does that assembly include everything?

Grouse

Comment

NO the kit # is 173964 $407.00 then you need battery cables, and ignition harness.
          Attached Files
          FLORIDA GATORS
          TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
          That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

you may be better off selling what you have, and buying what you need.
            FLORIDA GATORS
            TEBOW Country

Comment

Looks like we got two threads going here. Anyhoo, once you get to the shop2.evinrude site click on the drop down box where it defaults to Evinrude. Then select OB Accessories. Follow the prompts till you get to the kit for your motor. It will show everything that is included. It will include everything you need and should include instructions with the kit.

Comment

Thanks, I see it now. Looks like I'd be signing up to about $425 to add it at this point.

That's a pretty tough one to swallow for a 1984. I was hoping it'd come in around half of that to make it worthwhile.

Considering a used 4 stroke 25 can be bought for around $1500, it's tough to justify putting that much money into an 1984, I think. Oh well, better hit the gym and bulk up so I can pull that ripcord for a few more years.

Grouse

Comment

yeh, you can buy a lot of bait and gas, for that $$, find a teenager that likes to fish. there is you automatic starter.
                  FLORIDA GATORS
                  TEBOW Country

Comment

when you consider the cost of feeding a teenager the electric start will be cheaper, more dependable, and talk back less. but not nearly as much fun.

Comment

i mean a neighbor kid, or grand kid. every time i go fishing, i take one of the neighbors kids. their only exposure to it. they all love it.
                      FLORIDA GATORS
                      TEBOW Country

Comment

Might be worth poking around the local marinas - if they're even open this time of year, and see what they have in the back room or basement. Might be able to find a blown 1980s era 20-35 with the parts you need for less than the kit itself... With the way the economy is the marina guys might be willing to deal just to get some cash coming in.
                        - Scott
                        Share A Project Page for 1971 GW Invader Banchie 13
                        http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,433,00.html
                        Share A Project Page for 1976 American 18
                        http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,404,00.html
                        Share A Project Page for 1974 American 15
                        http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,405,00.html

Comment

I have an '81 25hp. When I get tired of yanking the cord, I would sell or swap it for something else. Cost too much to add a starter.
                          '77 Crestliner Voyager Deluxe 16' (semi V), Spartan WondeRoll tilt trailer, '81 Johnson 25 hp, '88 Johnson 30 hp, '87 Evinrude 30 hp

Comment

Originally posted by tashasdaddy View Post
                            yeh, you can buy a lot of bait and gas, for that $$, find a teenager that likes to fish. there is you automatic starter.
                            lol a teenage likes fishing... a big strong sexy guy sounds right! u know what it sounds like me
                            -1964 20Ft Riviera Cruiser, 1961 14.5Ft Critchfield, 1962 15ft Orlando Clipper
                            -1959/60 10 Hp Evinrude, 1961 Mercury 500, 1958 35 Hp Johnson (Sold), 1990 25 Hp Johnson (Sold), 1985 60 Hp Johnson

1962 Orlando Clipper 15FT http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....hlight=orlando

http://photobucket.com/sgdteam

Comment

Working...
                            X