TN-26 Johnson 5hp 1950

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
The pull starter wire/rope on my seahorse is in need of attention. The wire is sheathed inside "hollow rope" that has separated exposing the wire & leaving threads all over the place. I'm worried that all the little threads will cause a problem somewhere (carb, magneto, etc.).

It seems that I could just replace the "rope" part by fishing my existing wire into something similar. The rope seems to be a little heavier than shoelace.

Any ideas of what I could use on the cheap? Again, shoelace was my first thought, or do I need to look for an OEM replacement?

Thanks

MAS

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: TN-26 Johnson 5hp 1950

You can try www.sea-way.com for an original. Or you can do like everybody else and just use nylon rope from the hardware store. Tie a knot in the end in place of the present anchor. But be warned: If you pull it all the way to the end it will cut the knot off in a nano-second and the resulting backlash will wreck the recoil spring. Newer motors that have nylon rope as original have a pin in the sheave that prevents pulling it all the way to the knot.