Why change to adjustable low speed jet?

tedious

Petty Officer 2nd Class
While looking into parts compatibility for my Johnson 70, I noticed that OMC switched over to an adjustable low speed jet sometime during 1989. Does anyone have insight into why the changeover? Were the fixed-jet motors not performing satisfactorily?

Tim

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Why change to adjustable low speed jet?

if i am not mistaken they have the fixed jet, that is an idle air mixture adjustment, that most newer J/E's have.

tedious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if i am not mistaken they have the fixed jet, that is an idle air mixture adjustment, that most newer J/E's have.

I think you're right - I was sloppy in my terminology. Same question applies, though - why did it become adjustable midway through the 1989 model year, after previously being fixed? I would think the adjustable version is more expensive; seems like OMC would not have made such a change without a good reason.

Tim

jwbmarine

Seaman Apprentice

well,...in my opinion,.........this allows u to adj to diff situations,and as the eng ages,wears,....u r able to compensate and fine tune,for better idle.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

My humble observation says that people just gotta have something to monkey around with. They even tried to "adjust" the screw plugs over the fixed idle jets. Give 'em what they want.