Pinion Evinrude 50

anbas

Cadet
Had shifting problem on my Evinrude 50 1975, and after some advices from sitemembers on this page i had the lower unit off. After some flushing in the gearcase and shifting back and forth it seems working allright. I?m going to change the impellar before reassembling, but there is something else i been thinking about to do meanwhile the lower part is off. It?s shimming the pinion.

When I?m rotating the driveshaft or the screw there is a grinding sound. It?s there in forward and reverse. But if I?m lifting the driveshaft - i think it?s about 0,5 mm - it doesen?t grind any more. Therefore i?m thinking about to shim the pinion.

My questions: Is grinding normal? It looks to be quite easy to take the pinion out, but is there some hard points to pass to get it out?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Pinion Evinrude 50

I really wouldn't, if you shim the shaft you will increas the clearance between the pinion and the gears and that could easily cause some really big problems.

Anyhow, as the lower runs it will naturally push the drive shaft up by the force of meshing with the gears.

If you have flushed the lower you washed out all the lubrication and you may be hearing a normal sound when the lower runs dry.

I would get some oil in it and see what happens, if anything it is a bearing going bad but don't change the pinion clearance.

My humble opinion.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

If the gearcase is original, and has no internal damage, the pinion should be properly shimmed. With no lube, the gears will have a sound when rotated, If you can feel alternate tight spots as you rotate, you could have a problem. Did you hit something with this case?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Be sure that you are pulling upwards on the driveshaft while you are turning it. That way the pinion is in its normal position and seated against the driveshaft thrust bearing.

If you push down on the driveshaft, you can feel the pinion bind in the gear teeth.

anbas

Cadet

Thanks for your answers. As i understand the driveshaft is pushed upwards when the engine is in gear. If thats the case there is no idea to take the pinion out to shim it. Your help saved me a lot of unessesary work.

Thank You again.