200 johnson no spark on cylinders 2 & 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampaaquasport81

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 91 200hp johnson, that had a total overhaul about 2 years ago before i bought it. i just replaced the cdi box and ignition coils spark plugs and wires, i am not getting any spark from cylinders 2 and 5...anybody got any ideas?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 200 johnson no spark on cylinders 2 & 5

check grounds, also swap the coils with one that is firing, see if the problem stays with the cylinder or coil.

tampaaquasport81

Seaman Apprentice

ya i sawpped the coils and coils seem to be ok, can a bad ground cause just 2 coils not to spark? thanks

clanton

Rear Admiral

If no spark cold engine and hot engine the timer could be bad. You can check this system with a multimeter.

tampaaquasport81

Seaman Apprentice

ouch! pricey... what should i check with the voltmeter and what should the volts read? i appreciate your help guys,

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Download the CDI Electronics Troubleshooting Guide: http://cdielectronics.com/

It is a large pdf file, but the basis of most on-line guides. It will load faster if you right click the "Troubleshooting Guide" entry and save the file to your computer's drive.

Follow the tests for your motor step-by-step for the best results. Be sure to check the flywheel triggering magnets.

tampaaquasport81

Seaman Apprentice

would you guys recommend going with a new cdi timer over an oem timer?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

How are you testing for spark? All spark plugs out with a fully charged battery?

If you pull plug wires on those running big bore loopers you can damage the powerpack.

tampaaquasport81

Seaman Apprentice

i disconnected the spark plug wires and use a screw driver next to the coils to see if there is spark,none of the spark plugs are live in the cylinder, and yes battery is fully charged,

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

On a CD ignition you want to check spark with all of the plugs removed. It gives the engine freedom to reach operating speed.

The better testers will show a spark at 3/8" to 7/16" under these
conditions.

38089.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Ezeke, your method is not a reliable test. Get a proper adjustable tester and set the gap to 7/16 of an inch. You may have spark on 2 and 5, but it may be weak. Be sure the individual grounds for those two coils are polished, tight and clean.

The tester shown in his pic is ideal for those with a 4 or 6 cylinder, and well worth every penny.

tampaaquasport81

Seaman Apprentice

ok, im sure il need it again anyways, dumb but effective i had my buddy touch the coil to see if there was indeed no current and he didn't get shocked...
so is it a pretty safe assumption that i probably need a new timer? im gonna test the currents in the wires tomorrow

tampaaquasport81

Seaman Apprentice

is there a place i can get instructions on proper installation of the timer base?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Did you test the timer and have it fail? These ignition components are non refundable, and expensive, so I would be certain before throwing parts at it.

"dumb but effective i had my buddy touch the coil to see if there was indeed no current and he didn't get shocked..."

....reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer continually gets shocked trying to get that darn donut! ;) Not my preferred method for troubleshooting ignition components, but to each his own, lol.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Were replacement sparkplug wires automotive wire??? Should be wires with metal wire inside. Timer should be checked using OEM manual, CDI, who I think are great, does not alway have correct testing method for the V6 Quick Start timer. This timer has 12 triggers, 6 for starting, 6 for running, The timer starts the engine 6 degrees advance, then after operating temps are reached, timer shifts back 6 degrees.

While you have the flywheel off, check the magnets, may be loose, and upper main bearing housing bolts.

tampaaquasport81

Seaman Apprentice

they are universal marine kit i purchased from napa auto parts, i don't know what i would have done without you guy!! you have given me loads of info. i really appreciate :D

tampaaquasport81

Seaman Apprentice

i checked the wires from the timer base, the 1st harness had no volts and 2nd one had 18 volts on the wires. so i think i need a new timer base. is it worth paying the extra money to buy the cdi timer over oem?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

no. if you are going to work on it your self, buy the OEM Service Manual, before you blow a bunch of $$$$, or screw up your motor good!!! you did not answer the questions that were ask of you, thus you did not get agreement that the need a timer. throw enough parts at it, you will eventually get lucky.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I would be surprised if any OEM part costs less than CDI.

What RPM were you turning when you got the vloltage reading? Did you have the Rectifier disconnected?

tampaaquasport81

Seaman Apprentice

ok, i need to order the manual, unless i can find oem troubleshooting on the net. not sure what the rpm's were prolly around 500-600 but not sure, and yes the regulator was still attached,

Status
Not open for further replies.