1986 Evinrude Model E10ELCDB Carb Cleaning quesiton

wheresthefish

Seaman
this is a pretty specific question about the carb on this motor. I want to rebuild the carb properly and resoak in carb cleaner solution. I took off the normal screws and rubber seals, float of my carb but there is one thing i am unsure of. on the top of this carb there is a dime size metal cap that looks to be pressed in. when i got my new carb kit, included was a metal cap that looks similar to the one on the top of the carb. does anyone know if this needs to be removed before i soak in carb cleaner? if it does need to be removed can you guide me through it. the main reason i ask is that my motor is not running up to par (earlier post) and i am wondering a dirty carb is the problem. any suggestions will be helpful. thank you in advance.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1986 Evinrude Model E10ELCDB Carb Cleaning quesiton

yes it should be removed, i use an ice pick, pierce the cover, and pry it out, then when you got it install the new one, i use a wooden dowel or the end of a ratchet extention, and a couple of taps with a hammer. there are several little holes (0rifices) under the plug that must be clear for the motor to idle properly.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1986 Evinrude Model E10ELCDB Carb Cleaning quesiton

The purpose of removing the cap, called a welch plug, is to gain access to to those tiny orifices into the carb throat. They cause more carb malfunction than all other problems combined and sometimes (not always) must be physically cleared of gum/varnish after the soaking.

Sometimes air pressure will clear them but sometimes you have to push fine wires or very small drill bits through them to get them clear. Then replace the welch plug. a Gentle tap on the replacement plug with a small drift is usually adequate to seal it.