top oil seal puller?, '59 johnson 35hp, big twin

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class
my magneto plate is oily, as well as the top area of the motor underneath the magneto plate. makes me think the top seal is leaky. runs fine, though. the seloc manual specifies a puller that i wonder if is still available or if it's a common kind of thing that you might be able to buy at a cheap tool outlet like harbor freight.

-peter

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: top oil seal puller?, '59 johnson 35hp, big twin

the picture in the manual looks like a section of plumbing pipe, with the standard tapered, npt thread, that threads into the seal to "grab" it, and then maybe weld a nut into the top of it to screw some rod down into it to bear against to top of the crankshaft and pull the seal with further turning...maybe? or is a leaky top seal the end of the line for a big twin? i'd hate to have to part out this otherwise good runner.

-peter

wbeaton

Commander

That tool is NLA. Claw, pick or drill it out if you have to. A bad top seal is by no means the end of the line for that motor. However, are you sure that's the problem? Usually a bad top seal is accompanied by poor running. If its just a bit oily it could be an over greased armature or even just from years of use.

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class

That tool is NLA. Claw, pick or drill it out if you have to. A bad top seal is by no means the end of the line for that motor. However, are you sure that's the problem? Usually a bad top seal is accompanied by poor running. If its just a bit oily it could be an over greased armature or even just from years of use.

Thanks for the good words. It does run well, so maybe it's just accumulated from much use. It looks "runnier" than grease, but maybe it gets diluted by other solvents like fuel mist or small oil leak past the top seal?

In any event, I'm intrigued by the idea of "claw, pick, or drill". Can this actually be done successfully, with the case assembled and the crank in place...i mean, if you're super careful and all? I'm buoyed by the possibility of not having to do it at all, but still, I like to keep my options open in case of bad news.

-peter

wbeaton

Commander

Its a huge pain, but the seal can be removed without tearing apart the powerhead.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Whenever I change the points on my '57 big twins,I replace the top seal as a matter of course.Not so much because of poor running, but because it could be a place where water can get in while running in bad weather conditions. This can cause other parts inside to get rusty and seize up.Then you have to open the block and start replacing rusty parts.
Most marine mechanics have improvised their own tools for this job.By sheer luck I inherited an original seal puller.Once you learn how to use it,it takes only a few minutes to replace a seal.
Anyway,buying the right tools and being able to use them,is half the fun of boat maintenance.

rupertmja

Seaman

Getting seals out with shafts still in place is really tricky. But ones you start you can't stop. So, poke in a screwdriver or pick and anything else you can get in there and just start digging / tugging - it can get real messy. Be careful not to damage metal and be prepared to waste a lot of time. With some, I have drilled small holes in to the metal inside the seal and put screws in - but you need a good drill as the metal is really tough. Or, just leave it alone until you need a rebuild.