1978 Evinrude 115 tilt/trim goes up but not down

I have a 1978 Evinrude 115 model 115899C. The motor will trim up but not down. The trim motor does not even make a sound like its trying to go down. I can lower it manually but thats the only way. The switch on the throttle and the trailering switch both work going up but I get the same from both when I try to get it down. Any ideas??

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 Evinrude 115 tilt/trim goes up but not down

The 1978 PT&T takes power for lowering the engine directly through the switch to the three wire motor.

The red and white incoming positive wire to the switch is apparently good or you could not raise the engine, so check the green and white and green wires between the switches and the tilt motor for continuity.

You could also take fused positive power directly to the green wire on the tilt motor to see if the problem is the motor wiring.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Your engine has the old style trim box which mounts under splashwell, inside the transom. These old models us a solenoid, like a starter solenoid to operate the trim motor. 581528. You should be able to tell if the solenoid is providing current for the down movement with a voltmeter. The trim motor is a 3-wire system motor, connected to that box. You should also be able to bypass the solenoid and provide current direct to the motor to see if it works up and down.

lyncraft_mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi and welcome to Iboats; I think your problem maybe the solenoid, have you checked all of the electrical connections to see if any of them have loosened up or are corroded? check out this website http://www.shop.evinrude.comfor a break down of parts and thier locations.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The solenoid on the 1978 model was only wired to raise the outboard. The power to lower went directly through the switch.

See the Service manual diagram by clicking the thumbnail below:

As you can see, the solenoid is only wired to one side (blue) of the switch.

Attachments

• 1979 PT&T Wiring 2.JPG
    1979 PT&T Wiring 2.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 7

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Im with Ezeke on this one. Using his helpful diagram, go through the following steps and let us know what you find.

1. Move red meter lead to point E3 in junction box, push trim switch in the down position. Battery voltage should be indicated. If trim motor does not run, test motor.

2. If no voltage is indicated at point E3, move meter red lead to trim switch at point E4 and meter black lead to point G1. Push trim switch in down position. If meter indicates battery voltage, lead is open between point E3 and E4.

3. If no voltage at point E4, move meter red lead to point E5 in trim switch. If battery voltage is indicated, trim switch may be defective.

4. If no voltage is indicated at point E5, check continuity of ground lead from trim gauge G1 to junction box point G. If ground lead is good, move meter red lead to junction box at point E1 and meter black lead to point G on junction box. If battery voltage is indicated, lead is open between E1 and E5.

Thanks for all the help guys I will give it a shot and see what happens. I am doing a complete renovation of this boat so I will probably have more questions as I go.

Well I have checked out the electrical and everything seems to work fine. The motor now goes up fine but still won't go down. The motor runs and sounds like it wants to go down but the motor won't move unless i use the manual release. Any suggestions now that the motor runs when I push the down button?? Thanks for all the help guys

J&DVanOst

Recruit

We are having the same problem with our 1978 Evinrude 85 it goes up great just wont do down and i wanted to know if you ever figured out want was wrong with it.

tot7392

Recruit

Did you ever figure out what the problem was. I'm having the same problem with mine

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

This thread is from 2008!