Seized 2001 Johnson 115

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Motor was idling, hooked up to water supply and then just locked up. Running at approx. 1500 rpm's when this happened. No prior knocks, pinging - nothing.
Have not pulled the plugs - going to do that now - .
What is my move after that? ( if the motor won't turn ).

Thanks,

jerry

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Seized 2001 Johnson 115

did you hear any funny noises.do you know if it got hot,it could be a heat seize but that often frees up so you can turn flywheel,check your lowerunit for oil,a bering sieze in a lower will do it,does prop turn,did eng have oil,did you see any smoke,as usual,usually before a bearing seize you hear some nasty noise,determine if its lowerunit ,

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Mike,

This might be a little troublesome as it is my neighbor's motor. I wasn't there when it happened but I did grill him on all of your questions except for the lower unit itself.
Now the smoke issue will also be a problem as he was running some Sea Foam though and that will smoke by it just doing its thing. He did say nothing major though, smoke wise.
Did pull the plugs and tried to crank it over, starter just clicks. ( battery and starter good ). Tried to turn from the prop - can't budge it.
I'm definately leaning on something locking up ( obviously ) but just what it is seems to be the million dollar question.

jonesg

Admiral

Typically , the lower unit can be dropped to find out if its the upper or lower end thats locking up.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

If The Prop Wont Turn In Neutral Its In The Lower,TELL HIM TO REMOVE THE BOTTOM GEAR OIL SCREW AND CATCH WHAT COMES OUT.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Mike,
Prop turns freely in neutral. But I was wondering what could lock up in the lower unit with the motor idling in neutral? Thinking I'll go over there later today and see if he wants to pull the lower unit off as jonesg recommended.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

It Can Still Be The Lower,but That Is A Bit Unlikely If It Spins In Neu.if The Engine Was Run And Didnt Have Gear Lube In Lower,or If Water Was In Lower ,you Could Have A Bearing Seize,usually If A Connecting Rod Broke You Would Suddenly Hear A Knocking Like A Hammer,then Rod May Stick ,or During A Heat Seize You Hear A Metallic Slowing Grinding Type ,but Of Course I Blew Up A Few So Would Be A Little More Aware.you Can Start By Pulling The Lowerunit.or Find Something To Turn The Flywheel,pull The Plugs Out,look For Any Kind Of Unusual ,metalally Deposits On The Plug,if You Do Then Just Go Pull That Cyl Head Right Off,plugs Will Usualy Tell You If You Had A Piston Detonate,or Water Rust,if For Some Reason The Eng Didnt Get Oil,that Would Heat Mains Up Too,but Usually The Cyl Will Sieze First.i Realize I May Be All Over The Place In Sequence,pull Plugs Forst,then Try And Turn Flywheel With Wrench,if Its Totally Locked,pull Lowerunit,still Locked Heads,but If A Plug Shows Bad,go For Heads First,get Back With Finding

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Mike - did all you suggested and the ole' gal is still frozen. Won't budge one little bit. Anyhow Dan said he's just gonna' take her down to the mechanic when he gets back from vacation.
From all appearances the plugs look good, nothing in the lower gear oil ( it is free) and don't see anything sticking through the block :eek:.
Neither one of us are much more than shade tree mechanics but have come to the conclusion it's time to see a pro.
Anyway - thanks for all your help. Probably be three weeks or so before we know the exact cause. I'll post the results.

Jerry