Johnson paint color

dnifedem85

Seaman
I have a 1996 Johnson 150 outboard. I need to paint the lower and middle unit white. I do not know which shade of white would best match the existing paint and engine cover. Does anyone have any experience with color choice and tips on how to do this? Thanks in advance.

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson paint color

You can go to www.shop.evinrude.com and select your make, year, and hp, and then you can choose the "paint" category and find your color. As for best way to do it, I haven't painted mine yet, but am planning on it. I'm just planning on sanding it down so it's smooth, then using a good primer, and then using the OE paint from the site I just gave you.

huckelberry

Seaman

If you have a Evinrude Johnson BRP dealer nearby, I'm sure they have or can get the factory color you need. I just repainted my evinrude and the factory color matched perfect. Easy to do. $6.50 for an aerosol can. More than enough paint too.

schroed

Seaman Apprentice

Just did mine. Here are some pics. I used Moeller Zinc Chromate primer(yellow) 1 Can, 1 can Tempo (Evinrude Sea Drive Silver 1983-1986) Part No. 020462, and 1 can Moeller Clear Coat.

I cleaned it up with a wire brush and simple green, sanded it down with 220,320,400 grit. Used the whole can of the primer on it, then started with the paint and used the entire can...plus a little more. Used #0000 steel wool between coats followed up by a tack cloth. Finished off with about 3 or 4 coats of clear. Hope this helps someone. P.S. Don't try to use every last drop in the paint can...it isn't pretty and the overspray with the yellow primer will leave a powder on everything. Oh, and I purchased my paint from West Marine. www.westmarine.com

Good Luck!

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1
  • cleaned and sanded.jpg
    cleaned and sanded.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 1 coat of paint.jpg
    1 coat of paint.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2 coats paint.jpg