Kill switch problem, pee hole, plug gap on 1983, 9.9 Johnson

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer
The kill switch on my 9.9 won't kill the engine. I took it apart and it seems to working fine. Traced all the wiring also and that looks good. Any ideas? I have to use the choke to kill the engine, but that's a pain because it has to sit a while before she will restart. Can anyone tell me what gap I should use on my plugs? Also, the pee hole only dribbles. Engine is cool to the touch and I cleaned it out as best I coluld. Any help would be appreciated.
Nightstalker

lyncraft_mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Kill switch problem, pee hole, plug gap on 1983, 9.9 Johnson

I would gap the plugs at .030, you tell tale (pee hole) is more than likley just plugged up, usually by insects, try running a piece of wire up the tell tale to clear any obstructions while the engine is running. your kill switch maybe faulty or you have a bad engine ground some place, have you checked all the wires for bad connections?

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

I would gap the plugs at .030, you tell tale (pee hole) is more than likley just plugged up, usually by insects, try running a piece of wire up the tell tale to clear any obstructions while the engine is running. your kill switch maybe faulty or you have a bad engine ground some place, have you checked all the wires for bad connections?

I checked all of the wiring and everything looks good and tight. Where the wire grounds to the engine block seemed OK, but maybe I should remove it and clean it up real good. What do you think? I'll try cleaning the pee hole like you said.
Thankss for the help,
Nightstalker

Rick.

Captain

That's odd. The kill switch on my 83 - 9.9 doesn't work either. I've been using it as a parts motor this year so it doesn't much matter. Have you checked it out with a meter? If you do find it's defective you might consider replacing it with a man over board lanyard switch. That's what I'm doing with my 79. In regard to the pee hole it is very important to have enough water in your barrel or the water pump can't work effectively and a symptom of that is a weak stream at the pee hole. Plug gap is .030.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

That's odd. The kill switch on my 83 - 9.9 doesn't work either. I've been using it as a parts motor this year so it doesn't much matter. Have you checked it out with a meter? If you do find it's defective you might consider replacing it with a man over board lanyard switch. That's what I'm doing with my 79. In regard to the pee hole it is very important to have enough water in your barrel or the water pump can't work effectively and a symptom of that is a weak stream at the pee hole. Plug gap is .030.

Man overboard lanyard? I have one on my 225 Johnny, but never heard of putting one on a 9.9. Would it be a pain to hook up, or an easy fix?
Nightstalker

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Just saw your post on kill switch and the replies. It looks to be an easy fix. The only problem is that if it's not the push button contacts causing the problem, a kill switch won't shut her down either. Am I right?
Nightstalker

Rick.

Captain

For sure, you're right. I'm just saying if it does prove defective it's something you might consider. I looked at the wiring on my factory kill button and one lead goes to a ground and the other into a factory wiring connector way back at the head cover. Check the ground connection (pull it off and clean it) as it would be the most likely of the two to give you a problem. I hope you find a fix. Rick.

timsmcm

Seaman

One of the wires going to and or from the switch could be broken, or have an open, if that is the case no matter what switch you put in there it wont work.

Rick.

Captain

Well that tells me you haven't checked it with a meter. That's what you need to do in order to make that determination. You are correct, either wire could be broken anywhere from point A to point B. If you remove the ground wire and then do a continuity check it will tell you if the assembly is working or not. If it isn't you could bare the wires coming out of the switch and check for continuity again. If you have it, that proves a wire is broken. Rick.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Well that tells me you haven't checked it with a meter. That's what you need to do in order to make that determination. You are correct, either wire could be broken anywhere from point A to point B. If you remove the ground wire and then do a continuity check it will tell you if the assembly is working or not. If it isn't you could bare the wires coming out of the switch and check for continuity again. If you have it, that proves a wire is broken. Rick.

Checked both wires with a meter, both are OK. Traced wires again to what I think is the ground. Can't see where either wire actually directly grounds to engine block. One goes into one of those rubber 3 prong attachments, other one screws onto a plastic power pack (I think).
Nightstalker

Rick.

Captain

The one you mentioned in conjunction with the power pack is a ground. If you look closely you will see that it is only connected to the mounting screw which is a good way to ground something. Rick.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

your eng may be pumping ok for now,but those impellers fail sooner or later,you would be making a wise decision by changing it yearly.the bonding agent between the hub and the vanes breaks down .i did the small engines at past shops and cant tell you how many ive seen fail.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

The one you mentioned in conjunction with the power pack is a ground. If you look closely you will see that it is only connected to the mounting screw which is a good way to ground something. Rick.

Yup, you hit the nail on the head. Traced it back, saw where it was grounded, took it apart and cleaned it all up, reattached it, fired her up, pushed the kill switch, she shut right down. Thanks for all the help. Now I'm thinking that I'll take a shot at changing the impeller on the water pump. The marina wants $150 plus parts. I'm not a mechanic, but can turn a wrench well enough to get by. Anyone know of a web site that shows me how to do it?
Thanks Again
nightstalker

Rick.

Captain

Hey that's great. It's always gratifying to solve an issue on these motors. The water pump is an easy fix. Having said the word easy is usually a curse for me but it really is no big deal unless you have bolts or screws that a corroded. I would encourage you to get yourself an Evinrude service manual at this point. They work you through all the things you need to know and worth their weight in gold. I usually get them on Ebay but Iboats sell them as well. If you have a problem locating one a Johnson book will serve you well. I would personally shy away from digital cd manuals and books that cover a range of models and years. I have bought both and they are not in the same league as an factory service manual. Rick.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

basically you remove the mounting bolts for the lowerunit,the lower will drop about a half inch,helps to put in reverse,then,look into the half inch space,you will find the shift coupler,remove the lower screw,that will allow the shiftshaft to disengage,you will see the waterpump assy at base of driveshaft,4 bolts hold in place,remove bolts,see impeller,lift up carefully with screwdrivers if necessary,new impeller should have new key,if the pump body looks bad with any grooves in the plate or housing change it too,otherwise install everything reverse order,BUT when hooking the shiftshaft backthe groove on the shiftshaft must align with the hole the bolt going thru coupler perfectly,or you will break the coupler or shaft will pull out,the bolt is more like a pin then a screw.bolt slides thru shaft,piece of cake,come back if problem,change gear oil too

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Hey that's great. It's always gratifying to solve an issue on these motors. The water pump is an easy fix. Having said the word easy is usually a curse for me but it really is no big deal unless you have bolts or screws that a corroded. I would encourage you to get yourself an Evinrude service manual at this point. They work you through all the things you need to know and worth their weight in gold. I usually get them on Ebay but Iboats sell them as well. If you have a problem locating one a Johnson book will serve you well. I would personally shy away from digital cd manuals and books that cover a range of models and years. I have bought both and they are not in the same league as an factory service manual. Rick.

Good idea. I'm going to order one today. Give me something to read in my spare time.
Thanks,
Nightstalker

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

basically you remove the mounting bolts for the lowerunit,the lower will drop about a half inch,helps to put in reverse,then,look into the half inch space,you will find the shift coupler,remove the lower screw,that will allow the shiftshaft to disengage,you will see the waterpump assy at base of driveshaft,4 bolts hold in place,remove bolts,see impeller,lift up carefully with screwdrivers if necessary,new impeller should have new key,if the pump body looks bad with any grooves in the plate or housing change it too,otherwise install everything reverse order,BUT when hooking the shiftshaft backthe groove on the shiftshaft must align with the hole the bolt going thru coupler perfectly,or you will break the coupler or shaft will pull out,the bolt is more like a pin then a screw.bolt slides thru shaft,piece of cake,come back if problem,change gear oil too

Thanks for the step by step. Replaced impellar today. Only took about an hour. Only swore 3 or 4 times. Not bad huh??????????????
Thanks Again
Nightstalker

Rick.

Captain

Always remember one thing. " Confidence is something you get just before you realize you don't understand the problem". That's a quote from a math teacher friend of mine but it hits home often with me.
Glad to hear you got the impeller changed easily and even happier your getting a manual. You've fixed two problems in only a couple of days. That's got to feel good. Rick.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Always remember one thing. " Confidence is something you get just before you realize you don't understand the problem". That's a quote from a math teacher friend of mine but it hits home often with me.
Glad to hear you got the impeller changed easily and even happier your getting a manual. You've fixed two problems in only a couple of days. That's got to feel good. Rick.

It does feel good to fix something like that yourself. It's more about self satisfaction knowing you did it yourself then simply the money you save.

Thanks Again for all your help.
Nightstalker