1950 Johnson Seahorse 5hp

ok so a buddy borrowed my boat and somehow manages to SINK the boat in our SALTWATER pond. the motor was brought up within 5 min. I drained everything out of the motor and coated EVERYTHING is corrision block. Then put new fuel back into it. She will start usually on first pull but wont run long.(maybe 15 to 30 sec.) Then when you try to give it gas to keep it running it will cut off, or if you let it sit and run it cuts off. Any idea on where i should start to keep it running?........also before this happened it runs great out of water but it seems that the pressure of the water boggs it down and wont run at slow speeds in water. Thanks for all of the help!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1950 Johnson Seahorse 5hp

Should have immersed in fresh water without delay to wash out the salt.
Then drained every thing and dried all the ignition system esp the coil(s) somewhere warm.

You probably have not got rid of all the water in the fuel system. You may have to strip and clean the carb.

the carb has been cleaned very well and although i did not submerse it in fresh water i rinsed all of it well in dawn and vinegar(works wonders on salt- old seamans trick)

freddyray21

Commander

If it ran fine before out of the water and slow in the water I would suspect only one cylinder is firing. Check for spark at both wires. It should jump at least a 1/4 inch with a nice blue spark and pop.

how do i check if it is firing on both cylenders and if i find it is only on one then what do i do? Also after letting it sit a night now it wont start. it has a "pop" like it wants to but just cant quite do it. I am a "basic mechanic" so i dont really know where to start.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Pull the flywheel and clean everything underneath By now you will probably have to strip it and at least replace the points.