what's needed to charge battery- 45 hp commerical johnson

tallcanadian

Captain
i have a 1985 johnson 45hp commercial outboard. these motors are pretty well bare bones but i was lucky enough to have electric start on it. i've had it now for 3 years and it works perfect. nice big lower unit, pushes my 15 foot tri hull with a load at ease. my question is what do i need to install on this motor to charge my battery.

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: what's needed to charge battery- 45 hp commerical johnson

I am thinking about hooking up one of these inexpensive solar panals to charge mine when not in use. Harbor Freight has them for $20-40 depending on size. That is a lot cheaper than trying to hook up an alternator, I think.

tallcanadian

Captain

for sure but i would like to have something charging while i'm trolling or cruising around. i have a lot of electronics on my boat and am going to be installing more.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I think it will be pretty pricey to add a charging setup just in parts alone.
keep in mind that at idle the charge is close to non existant and at max probably about 10 or 15 amps.I would think about trading up to something more appropriate.And you still will be in that charge range.What kind of electronics will you have?How often do you charge now? and what kind of battery are you running?

tallcanadian

Captain

yeah i figured it would be costly. i thought maybe just some kind of regulator or something had to be installed. i've got an engerizer marine battery. i'm going to be getting a second for next spring. one for the main motor and the other for my electronics. right now i have two fish finders, one bilge pump, trolling motor and cb radio. i will be installing an automatic bilge pump and bilge pump alarm, along with some gauges, and interior lights along with my existing navigation lights. i'm also considering an on board battery charger as well. i just thought i could have a little help coming from my main motor as well. probably over kill but i guess i worry too much..lol.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I don't know why you couldn't just add a unregulated rectifier and at least get maintenance charging to your battery. Even 6 amps will usually offset the starting load. Do you have a tachometer?

jonesg

Admiral

yeah i figured it would be costly. i thought maybe just some kind of regulator or something had to be installed. i've got an engerizer marine battery. i'm going to be getting a second for next spring. one for the main motor and the other for my electronics. right now i have two fish finders, one bilge pump, trolling motor and cb radio. i will be installing an automatic bilge pump and bilge pump alarm, along with some gauges, and interior lights along with my existing navigation lights. i'm also considering an on board battery charger as well. i just thought i could have a little help coming from my main motor as well. probably over kill but i guess i worry too much..lol.

damn, you need a bigger boat ! :D

tallcanadian

Captain

no ezeke, i don't have a tachometer, yet. that is one thing i do want. i had another post here in the past asking what i needed to install a tach, but had no luck with responses.

jonesg, you may be right on the bigger boat response. lol. i know i'm probably adding more than i need but we spend hours on the water fishing, so most of my electronics are on all the time. as a matter of fact, i have to drag my wife off the water from fishing and it's usually dark by the time we get back to the cabin. lol.

tallcanadian

Captain

thanks ezeke, i will. i'll do it tomorrow in the daylight. it's suppose to be nice tomorrow too, so i can unwrap my boat. imagine, i don't want to get my boat wet..lol.

karlow1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you knew what to look for, you could pickup the whole charging/ignition system on ebay for cheep. I have seem assemblies for 40HP for about $35. You would have to be willing to wait for one, and know what you are shopping for!:)
There are a lot of people parting out engines out there! My problem is I'm looking for something more rare.

KP

tallcanadian

Captain

that's a good idea karlow. i do a lot of ebay shopping. i've got all winter to wait. lol.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Ok, the electric start kit for the 1985 45HP is part number 396949. It came with a terminal block and a rectifier.

Like my 15 HP Evinrude, you could also set it up with just a starter motor, which I guess is what you have.

You may find a kit is the way to go if you can locate one at a salvage yard or on Ebay.

tallcanadian

Captain

so if i get this electric start kit, then could i charge batteries? is this what your saying?

tallcanadian

Captain

okay i see it. i know what your saying now. wow, 407 dollars. but at least i know what i'm looking at. thanks for your help. much appreciated.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Yes, too much money, but someone is probably sitting on one they can't use so keep looking. Give sea-way.com in Seattle WA a shout, maybe they have one in old stock without a starter motor. There is no good reason to pay again for the parts that you already have.

If you have it set up, you can also run a tach off the same terminal block.

I would be hard pressed to give up on what you have, it looks like it is running very well.

tallcanadian

Captain

Yes, too much money, but someone is probably sitting on one they can't use so keep looking. Give sea-way.com in Seattle WA a shout, maybe they have one in old stock without a starter motor. There is no good reason to pay again for the parts that you already have.

If you have it set up, you can also run a tach off the same terminal block.

I would be hard pressed to give up on what you have, it looks like it is running very well.

for sure. my motor is a nice piece. sits all winter and starts up first try. it planes within seconds, even with a full load. on a gps i went around 32 mph, with two people. also it's very good on gas. i will be looking around now for these electrical parts, now that i know what i'm looking for. your information is very helpful. thanks again for your time.

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok, I have to ask, is there a starter kit for a 2000 55hp commercial? Not meaning to hijack a thread, but I've looked for this and have never seen it listed anywhere. It sure would make my life easier, I have pull start only.
I do agree with you tallcanadian, my 55hp goes literally months in between uses (sad, but true), but it starts up on the 3rd or 4th pull every time, unless it's really cold outside. I'm in FL, so I don't really have a winter. I can fish 12 months a year.

tallcanadian

Captain

Ok, I have to ask, is there a starter kit for a 2000 55hp commercial? Not meaning to hijack a thread, but I've looked for this and have never seen it listed anywhere. It sure would make my life easier, I have pull start only.
I do agree with you tallcanadian, my 55hp goes literally months in between uses (sad, but true), but it starts up on the 3rd or 4th pull every time, unless it's really cold outside. I'm in FL, so I don't really have a winter. I can fish 12 months a year.

i believe you said you have a tiller? if so, part number 438629 is the omc number.
fishing 12 months of the year? you lucky dog. fishing here in newfounland runs from may 20 to labour day weekend. sheesh, i'm moving to florida.