1988 88 HP SPL Evinrude - performance question

bcomer

Seaman
I just picked up this 1988 88 HP SPL (which supposedly is a 90 HP without VRO). It seems to run okay but when throttling up it seems to surge with a lot more power for a few seconds and then backs down again. Could this be the carbs not working properly or is it an indication of ignition cutting in and out?

Again it starts fine--seems to idle well but apparently is not running as strong as it should.

An unrelated question - I notice that when I first start it there appears to be bubles coming up from where the prop is located. never noticed that before on my 85HP. Is this an indication of exhaust getting where it should not or potential water in lower end?

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1988 88 HP SPL Evinrude - performance question

the 88 has thru hub exhaust, exits center of propeller. check to make sure you have spark on all 4. yes i'm going to say 99% chance it is clogged or clogging jets in the carbs. also make sure vent is open and clear on fuel tank. i had an 1988 88spl and loved it.

tashasdaddy

double posting is frowned upon, your other post was deleted.

bcomer

Seaman

I did not intentionally double post. The site gave me a failure so I went back and hit send on the post when the site responded.

Sorry but it was not intentional.

CRETE4U

Cadet

Sounds like you need to clean the carbs. I had a 1988 88SPL for over ten years and it was a great motor.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A weak fuel pump, malfunctioning anti-siphon valve, and a clogged pickup screen in the fuel tank will also cause surging. At idle fuel delivery may be sufficient to keep the carb float bowls full. But when you apply power, fuel delivery is not maintained and surging begins. Try squeezing the primer bulb when the engine is surging. If the issue goes away each time the bulb is squeezed, you have a delivery problem and it probably is not the carbs. Anyway, do not run this engine hard until you correct the problem. Lots of engines are damaged by lean fuel mixtures since lack of fuel also means lack of oil.

tashasdaddy

agree