1996 Evinrude 48 Special...worth it?

broadwayc

Cadet
Hi all, I recently posted on the internet looking for a 30-50 HP motor for my flats jon. Someone has replied to my post and they have a 96' Evinrude 48 Special. Is it also known as a Stinger? It comes with a CMC tilt/trim control, remote controls and cables for the motor and a 6 gallon tank.

So far so good.

Here's the part that could make or break this deal. The guy spent over $1100 bucks on this motor about a year ago. He sent a scan of the bill to me. It had overheating issues and 50lbs of compression. It had rings, impeller, thermostat etc replaced. The labor that cost 800 bucks was for the power head disassembly and lower unit disassembly. Cylinders were ridged and honed as well.

The deal sounds pretty good. He says $450 for the motor, I bring tools and he helps me remove it. I don't want another lemon like my Suzuki. I would of course run a compression check.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jake

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1996 Evinrude 48 Special...worth it?

Jake, check compression, spark, and the lower unit oil. if you are getting a 96 48 special, with a cmc, it is well worth it. i would pay that just for the motor.
but, i have never heard it called a Stinger, those were 70 hp Johnson, back in the late 70's early 80's. check the model number against these.

48 1987 E48ESLCU
48 1988 E48ESLCC
48 1988 VE48ESLCC
48 1989 E48ESLCE
48 1990 E48ESLES
48 1990 VE48ESLES
48 1991 E48ESLE
48 1991 E48ESLEI
48 1992 E48ESLEN
48 1993 E48ESLET
48 1994 E48ESLER
48 1995 E48ESLEO
48 1996 E48ESLED

broadwayc

Cadet

Thanks tashasdaddy.

I got the Stinger idea from the repair bill. It has "48 Stinger" in the engine blank. So maybe there was a miscommunication there.

These may be silly questions but I guess I better ask them now.

I know I need a compression test kit and I am pretty sure you can just get them a an autoparts store. You just plug them into the head gesket and turn the fly wheel correct?

When i learned how to check spark on weed eaters and leaf blowers as a kid all I did was pull the boot and look for a spark. Is that the same here with boat motors or is there another way?

How can I check the oil in the lower without losing it all? Do I just unscrew the oil drain screw and check for water and metal? I wouldn't want to drain the whole thing and have a P Oed guy on my hands.

Thanks for the help.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Compression tests are done thru the sparkplug holes. I remove all the plugs in the engine and mark the wires. I take out all the plugs to keep the engine from accidently starting. I bought my tester at autozone. Get the kind that screws into the head. There is one that you hold over the hole, but, that kind is just a pain to use. All of your cylinders should be within 10% compression of each other. After you plug in the tester, you need to turn the engine over quickly, like your trying to start it. Just turning the flywheel will not build compression enough to get an accurate measurement.

Checking for spark can be done the way you were taught as a kid. I pull a plug out and ground it to the block and look for spark while one of my kids turns the motor over with the key. You can also buy a spark tester at a small engine repair shop, it plugs in between the plug and the plug wire.

As far as checking the LU oil without draining it all, well, I can't help ya there. That is a good question. I sure there is somone here that can help you out on that one.

Hope this all helps!!!!

broadwayc

Cadet

So just turn the key and let it cycle once or twice to get an accurate reading on the compression check?

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

yeah...I usually have all the plugs out. Your motor will really turn over quickly without any plugs in. Watch the needle on the meter, when it stops going up, stop turning it over. When/where the needle stops is what the compression is for that cylinder. It sounds harder than it is.

Be careful not to turn it over alot because the cylinders will be dry and have very little lubercation.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i like to let it turn over 5 cycles, each basically turn it like it would start on the first try. i prefer the spark tester. lower oil, if you do not remove the top vent plug, but just remove the bottom drain plug, there is a vacuum, and only water and a little oil will come out, you can quickly look at the plug for metal, and reinsert.