Rebuilding LU. Perfect Seal #4 & Sealer 1000 Substitutes?

Wildthing1

Cadet
I was planning on putting my lower unit ('58 Johnson 35hp) together this weekend. I don't have many local boat stores and need substitutes for the below:

My Glenn's Marine Manual references using 'Sealer 1000' on seals and 'Perfect Seal #4' on bolts. Are there acceptable automotive substitutes for these out there?

(Like Permatex black and loc-tite?)

Edit: Per the local Mercury dealer the perfect seal #4 was put on the bolts of the lower unit to reduce corrosion. (Minimize the Stainless bolts from corroding the Aluminum unit). So loc-tite is probably not the right stuff...

So far on the forums I have seen: 3M #847, Permatex #300 Aviation, Permatex Black or Blue, as substitutes for the Sealer 1000.

Not much discussion on the 'Perfect Seal #4' otherwise known as 'Johnson Gasket sealing compound' that is recommended for use on bolts.

Edit #2: From auto store trip I am using VersaChem 'Prime Seal Gasket Sealant type 3 aviation' in place of Sealer 1000 and Permatex 'High Temperature Thread Sealant' for the Perfect Seal #4. Both of these seem to fulfill the requirements, though the 'High Temperature' is not necessary it does protect against corrosion and provides some resistance to vibrating loose.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rebuilding LU. Perfect Seal #4 & Sealer 1000 Substitutes?

Perfect seal #4 has given way to BRP "Gasket Sealing Compound" PN 317201 or 508235.

Mercury sells Perfect Seal sealer under their label: Quicksilver 92-34227-1.

The current product for sealing the gearcase is 3M Scotch-Grip 847 which is sold by BRP as part number 776964.

Click the BRP thumbnail below for description.

Attachments

• Sealants.JPG
    Sealants.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 4