1963 Evinrude 75hp Speedifour Ignition Wiring

I just installed this motor on my boat which had an evinrude on it before. The connectors matched right up in the solenoid box under the back.

I fired it up (with lower unit submerged) long enough to find out it would start but the ignition would not shut it down so I choked it out to stop it.

Further investigation revealed the boat had the wrong ignition switch (3 terminals) when it should have five. The two wires for the magneto are just hanging loose and there is nowhere on the switch to connect.

I am looking for the correct ignition switch (probably 5 terminals with magneto) and help getting the wiring correct at the switch.

The motor sounded great, fired right up!

A friend suggested I hook the two magneto wires to a toggle switch but I want it done right....

Thanks in advance for any help!

Evinrude Model 75353R

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1963 Evinrude 75hp Speedifour Ignition Wiring

Welcome to iBoats. Sounds like you're on the right track. A manual for your engine is invaluable.

Which do you recommend.

I can find the owner manual for the 63 model 75353 but not a service manual...

In the meantime I just want the correct ignition switch and magneto wired properly....

Thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Magneto black wire to the "M" terminal of ignition switch. Another black wire from the other "M" terminal of the ignition switch to ground.

Key OFF... M terminals connected. No ignition.

Key ON.... M terminals not connected. Ignition engaged.

Thanks.

Found the SELOC manual and its on order!

As for the ignition switch wiring....

I also know the battery and solenoid connections. There is another that is 'I'. Is this for ignition? and which wire connects there?

The boat also has the 'engine hot' warning light that is not hooked up. Is the wire for that in the bundle from the solenoid box? and where/how should it be connected?

Thanks a million.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The I terminal is switched +12VDC. You may use it to power gauges and the hot light. The hot light should be in series between the I terminal and the sensor on the motor. When th sensor grounds (the motor is hot), and the light comes on.

Thanks Chris.

I put the Speedifour on my 1963 Silverline model 350.

When I bought the boat it had a little '78 Johnson 25hp on it that didn't even run unbeknownst to me.

I put the 75hp on it this past weekend. The boat has a max hp rating of 85 but this thing is a beast. Hopefully it will be fine.

She started right up on the first turn of the key, so that's a good sign. I picked up the Speedifour on CL for $60. Couldnt pass that deal up!

Wish me luck - water for the first time this weekend as long as my new ignition switch shows up.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

In agreement with Chris on the "I" (ignition) terminal.

On that model, look upon the "I" terminal as the "A" (accessory) terminal,, anything that you want 12 volts applied to when the key is in the START or ON position.

tice

Cadet

wont help u but does anyone know y my speedifour isnt getting spark i got it 2 hrs ago and havent had time to look at it i just want to know if it has points and things like that

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

It should have 2 sets of points and a single condenser and a single coil. The points need to be cleaned and gapped at .020"

tice

Cadet

ok thanks do u know where i can get a coil and all that in case i need to replace and where are the points on the motor ive never owned a boat before but i got the boat the motor and trailer for 100bucks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The points are under the cover on the distributor pulley. Do the plug wires exit straight down or out the back of the distributor?

Is there a seperate coil in the cowling? If no seperate coil, the motor is likely a magneto. Coils are expensive, but available. I

f the coil is in the cowling, you might be able to replace it and the condenser with an old Ford coil and Ford Condenser.

tice

Cadet

ok thanks do u know where i can get a coil and all that in case i need to replace and where are the points on the motor ive never owned a boat before but i got the boat the motor and trailer for 100bucks

tice

Cadet

they come striaght out and ther is no seperate coil

yorab

Ensign

Which do you recommend.

I can find the owner manual for the 63 model 75353 but not a service manual...

In the meantime I just want the correct ignition switch and magneto wired properly....

Thanks.

You should definitely get the Factory Service Manual as well as the Seloc. Price isn't that bad on kencook.com. You'll be glad you got it. Some of the wiring diagrams are in the Seloc. In the meantime, check your PM.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Tice..... Your post is buried under a post that has a different topic, started by a member named CrowButtedWeller back in October of 2008.

It would be better for you to start a new post under your own topic by going back to the previous page, top left portion, click on Create New Post.