1971 Evinrude 4 HP. seafoam but no smoke.

Rick.

Captain
Hello. I did a seafoam treatment on my motor yesterday. I made a batch of seafoam/oil/gas mix, sprayed the cylinders the night before and started it up on the lake yesterday morning. I let it warm up to op. temp. let it sit for 15 minutes started it up and still no smoke. I had it going from idle to wide open. Does this mean I don't have a carbon build up or was the seafoam expired? When I say no smoke I mean only the normal amount. I also did a 4 HP Johnson at the same time with the same, no smoke, result. Thanks, Rick.

WTL

Seaman
Re: 1971 Evinrude 4 HP. seafoam but no smoke.

I didnt know seafoam can go bad. How much did you put in the gas? Sometimes I pour some down the throat of the carb too and that should get it smoking.

iwombat

Captain

You probably put most of the extra smoke in the lake. That 4hp isn't going to burn up a lot of fuel anyway and it may be hard to notice the extra.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i would say you have clean running motors. congrats.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

How long did you actually run the motors on the SeaFoam mixture?

Rick.

Captain

I ran the motors for 20 to 25 minutes each. I used the FAQ suggested ratio of 16oz. per 3/4 of a gallon. Now that I think of it I used an Imperial gallon which is slightly more than an American gallon. That would of left the mix a wee bit leaner. Rick.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If there were carbon build-up that would have burned it off. I think TD is correct.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

keep maitaining those motors the way you have, they will last for ever. but it will never hurt to seafoam again, in a year or 2. just maintenance.

Rick.

Captain

Well the seafoam must have done something. The night before I did a cold compression check and found both cylinders were at 85lbs. cold. Last night I checked them again, cold, and found the top @ 97 and the bottom @ 95. This is the first time this motor has seen a lake in several years so in spite of the lack of smoke the seafoam ( or just a good run) did improve the compression by a lot. Rick.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You had stuck rings from carbon build up.