No reverse 93 Johnson v8 250 hp outboard

skidog519

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1993 Johnson V8 250hp Outboard motor and although it is still in the water, last weekend I lost my reverse completely. It just clicks when I put it in reverse and goes no where so I am assuming something has happened to the linkage, or gear box but no problems at all with forward.

I am gussing I cant do anything until I pull it out of the water for the winter so I can pull the lower unit off but if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on what to check it would be appreciated.

Thanks

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: No reverse 93 Johnson v8 250 hp outboard

start by checking the shift cable,you can disconnect it at the engine,insure that it goes in and out ok,you might also,with help see if you can manually shift it at the linkage point where the cable hooks up,you may have some cable stretch and it is not allowing full reverse,if a helper at the helm shifts into rev.and you manually assist the shift,you may be able to determine if its just an adjustment at the cable,there is a plastic piece that screws to allow more through of the cable,you will need to remove the lockdown bolt,should be a 3/8 head that will allow you to turn the plastic piece for adjustment

skidog519

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Mikesea, I disconected the cable at the linkage as you suggested and tried to manually engage reverse. I was not able to do so and I felt la shaking clicking resistance of something so I did not try and force it in fear of breaking something. when it is hooked up and i go to reverse it is that "clicking sound" that I am feeling when I tried it manually. Do you know what I mean?

Any other sugestions?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

has the lower unit been off recently?

skidog519

Seaman Apprentice

yes it has been off recently last winter I replaced the water pump impeller. Drained the lower uinit, did not see any metal at all. The only thing I have not had it pressure tested. Today after messing with it, it went back in reverse gear but then another time it didnt again so Im confused.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

OK,did the problem start after the impeller job,if so,did you or ANYONE play with the shift rod,it needs to hqave proper hight ,KIDS love to screw with things and of course adults,that rode should NOT be screwed all the wat in,sorry I dont have the proper measurement ,which is from center of the pin hole to the level of the deck that mates with the medsection when gearcase is reinstalled/that said,you may be lucky and a few turns of the barrell(plastic piece on the cable)count turns in case it dont work,may get your shift to engage,I think that engine has a momentary kill switch hooked to the shift mechenism to reduce the torque when shifting,that may be why you couldnt get it manually.I doubt its a mechanical prob.likely a adjustment prob