Evinrude Junior 1.2HP. Won't start after carburretor stripdown

alcyone

Cadet
I have an old Evinrude Junior 1.2HP. I decided to strip and clean the carburettor after reading the manual and it had been standing for several years. I carefully stripped and cleaned it, making sure not to damage the needles.

Put it back together and cannot now get it to start. I have fresh fuel and I know I am getting a spark, so I'm pretty sure I've done something to the carb.

Any thoughts?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude Junior 1.2HP. Won't start after carburretor stripdown

you carb is basic the same procedure as this, you just have adjustable jets.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013

what year is it, or model #? have you tried putting some premixed fuel into the carb mouth, and trying to start it.

carb adjustments: Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle va /lve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, wating for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

alcyone

Cadet

Many thanks for your quick response. Your setup instructions for the jets seem to be very similar to the book I have, but I can't get it to start with those settings. I'll try as you suggest with the premixed fuel. If that fails, I must have done something else when putting it back together, so I think I'll take it apart again and start over.

Much appreciated, thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

besure the float is right side up, easy to install upside down. then when you get it back together, take a short pieces of hose, connect to fuel inlet, now just blow into the hose, with the carb right side up, you should not be able to blow air thru the hose, upside down, you should be able to just blow with a little pressure. this insures the float is operation, before all the install.