no spark to port side 1994 johnson 175glera

Status
Not open for further replies.

javelinjay1

Cadet
When ever I advance throttle port side bank cuts out(no spark) although it idles in and out of gear with spark to both sides. Checked shift interrupter swith and it is fine. My OMC manual says my stator should have a resistance reading for each coil between 1000 and 1200 ohms. I only get 450 and 458 ohms. Another forum I seen said 450-600 is correct. Who is right? Cranking voltage off of the two coil wires(brown/white-brown/black , brown-brown/yellow) indicate 128 volts cranking with regular voltmeter not a fluke meter and stator is not shorted to ground. Just wondering do I replace the pack or stator? To me it sounds like the pack if resistance is correct. Can someone please verify with me.
Thanks for any help.

Jay

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: no spark to port side 1994 johnson 175glera

Jay, Before replacing thos items, make sure the motor is not overheating. If you have the SLOW system, the spark will be killed to 1/2 the motor if it thinks it is overheating. First make sure it is not overheating. You should be ablke to touch he heads w/o burning your hand. They should be too hot to keep your hand on however.

These should be a two temp sensors, one one each head. When the engine is cold,they should be open. if a sensor detects overtemp, it grounds. I would disconnect both sensors for a short test. if the problem goes away, use a meter to find the bad sensor.

javelinjay1

Cadet

Already tried disconnecting the tan wires on both banks and the motor does the same thing. I can hold my hand the block for a few seconds. Can anybody verify the resistance of the coils on the stator for a 1994 175 glera. I would suspect to little resistance would blow a powerpack. Like I said there is a discrepancy between manual and chart I seen in boatparts.com
Thank you for your response Chris. Any other help is appreciated

javelinjay1

Cadet

Tashasdaddy ! Chart says I should be getting 735-900 ohms. Guess I should replace stator if I'm only getting 450. Why do I get full spark out of the starboard side if I'm only getting 450 out of it as well. Engine runs rough then quits. Is it possible the power pack is damaged because of the wrong stator resistance? Would it be advisable to just replace the stator and hope it corrects the problem?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you have 2 power packs correct, swap the packs, and see if it follow the packs or if it stays in the same place. follows the pack, replace pack, if same place replace stator.

javelinjay1

Cadet

No. I only have one pack. Part#584985. So would you replace pack or is there another way to trouble shoot wether it is the stator or pack?
thanks!

wulf311

Cadet

It sounds to me that you have a weak stator and a bad power pack. I have seen stators with low resistance stay working for a while. 99.99% of the time if one side is dead it is the pack.

jonesg

Admiral

It sounds to me that you have a weak stator and a bad power pack. I have seen stators with low resistance stay working for a while. 99.99% of the time if one side is dead it is the pack.

My mechanic said the same thing and he was right, the odds of all the coils on one side going south at the same time is a stretch.
Mine is a 1994 150, got the power pack from iBoats.

jwbmarine

Seaman Apprentice

see if u have an added on..blk shift sw.......attached,to the shift cable,at bottom.....if so,..disc it and ck spark......early v6 did not come w/those,but upon customer complaint of diff shifting,were added.kills port bank.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Quote: "My OMC manual says my stator should have a resistance reading for each coil between 1000 and 1200 ohms. I only get 450 and 458 ohms."

The higher reading is for the 35 amp system, although CDI lists it as 900 to 1100.

The 9 amp systems are 450 to 550.

javelinjay1

Cadet

see if u have an added on..blk shift sw.......attached,to the shift cable,at bottom.....if so,..disc it and ck spark......early v6 did not come w/those,but upon customer complaint of diff shifting,were added.kills port bank.

I disconnected both shift wires from the shift switch and the port side still kicks out as the throttle advances. At idle speed, ingear or neutral it still fires the 6 cylinders. If I had a weak stator is there a possibility it would damage a new pack if installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.