'87 Evinrude 28 hp

bese6197

Cadet
I cannot seem to get my boat to turn over. I started with the battery, and gave it a charge - no change but good voltage with my DMM. It has a keyed ignition and there is no solenoid noise when I turn the key. Inside the motor, I have 12+ volts on one side of the solenoid, but nothing on the other during starting. At the key switch, I found no voltage present at any of the terminals??? The boat also has the tether kill switch - but no exposed terminals to probe. Any ideas where else to look? I have a new switch and solenoid ordered, since my strategy was to start throwing parts at it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '87 Evinrude 28 hp

Find out what is wrong first. Then order parts if you need them.

Go to the Engine FAQs Forum and do "Outboard won't start".

Let us know what you find, and good luck.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check near the solenoid, for a inline 20 amp fuse. this controls the remote and starting circuit.

bese6197

Cadet

Well I replaced the inline fuse last night which was blown. However, I still have no power. I plan to recheck the connections at the switch in the console later this evening. Thanks tashasdaddy.

bese6197

Cadet

In case anyone is interested in the result, I seem to have pin pointed the solenoid as the root cause based on what I have learned in the forum and JB's troubleshooting reference. I am still waiting on the part to be delivered to verify.