1995 200 Evinrude Gearcase w/water

Bruce San

Petty Officer 1st Class
E200TXEO 25" shaft. drained gearcase oil while contemplating another problem and discovered water in oil. Removed lower unit and put on bench for re-seal job. Looked up seal kit on BRP website. They show an early production double seal 0434516 and a late production single seal 0437753. Can anyone tell me how to determine which kit to use?

Bruce San

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1995 200 Evinrude Gearcase w/water

Question: is it necessary to disassemble entire gear case to reseal? I'm trying to get a jump on it before manual arrives. Is there anything I should be aware of if I attempt this? I was looking at the output shaft and it looks like a bearing carrier has the seal in it. can I just remove the two bolts and tabs and slide that assy out or should I wait for the manual?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The difference in the drivesgaft seals is (if I remember right) the early production used 2 back to back seals, the late production used a double lip seal.

You don't have to take the bearing carrier out if you have the seal removal tool. Yes, the bearing carrier should come out if you remove the bolts. You'll probably need the puller (not on a counter rotation drive though - just in case someone has switched yours) and if it's been in salt water you may have to use heat.

Bruce San

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd like to leave the prop shaft bearing carrier in place. Is the seal removal tool any more complicated than a screw type dent puller?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Kinda like that only a cone. The other thing is to pressure & vacuume check the unit so you know where it's leaking from.

Bruce San

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. I put about 10 to 12 psi on it last night and it was bubbling water at the input shaft seal. I don't have a vacuum pump. I suppose I could borrow one from work.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If just the driveshaft seal is leaking, that's easy. All you need is that seal and an O ring.

Bruce San

Petty Officer 1st Class

cool! I'm gonna test it one more time to be certain the propshaft seal and shift shaft are not leaking. Thanks Dale.