Bent Skeg 90 Evinrude - How to straighten?

tvanden

Recruit
My 1985 90 HP Evinrude has a bent skeg. If 6 o'clock is straight down, mine is close to 5 o'clock. Any advice on how to straighten it out? I'm afraid if I torque on it with a pipe wrench I'll crack it off. Thanks!

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bent Skeg 90 Evinrude - How to straighten?

I'd take it to somebody who knows how to do it. They will probably use a torch to heat the metal up so it will bend and not break. If too much heat is used you can ruin the bearings in the lower unit.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

My 1985 90 HP Evinrude has a bent skeg. If 6 o'clock is straight down, mine is close to 5 o'clock. Any advice on how to straighten it out? I'm afraid if I torque on it with a pipe wrench I'll crack it off. Thanks!

the only time I bent a skeg, the guy who fixed it held something heavy on one side and pounded the other side. I believe he also used blocks of wood. It wasn't a subtle technique, but it worked quickly and perfectly. I don't remember him using heat, but it's been a while.

By the way, if it does break you have two pretty simple solutions (not that you want to break it.... but it won't be the end of the world)

A good welder can weld it back together, smooth it, and you can repaint. it will be almost invisible.

Or you can buy a "skeg guard" which is a bolt on attachment to protect the bottom of the skeg, but it can also hide a broken piece.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are millions motors with bent and broken skeg. if it does not effect the performance of the boat, leave it alone. it did it's job, and protected the prop. if badly broken, the skeg guard is a great alternative.