Vintage Johnson Carb Tuning question

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a quick question after reading the Carb Adjusting FAQ by J. Reeves. Is it important to tune the high speed prior to tuning the low speed? I was out by myself so could only tune the low speed. It seems to run fine at idle, but has very little increase at the top end, so I need to get another person with me and make sure the throttle is going full open, and then tune it at WOT. Before doing the Hi-Speed, should I put the low speed back to the initial settings?

Also, I was amazed at the oil slick you get after shutting the engine down after a slow troll down the canal to my dock. Is that pretty normal?

Overall it runs very smooth and starts on the first or second pull.

It is a 1959 Johnson 18HP.

Thanks,

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Vintage Johnson Carb Tuning question

you need the other person and it makes a big difference. they are noted for the oil slick, you can change to synthetic TC-W3 if you want, smokes less, and friendlier.

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Vintage Johnson Carb Tuning question

Thanks Tashadaddy, next time I go out (tomorrow?) I will bring a friend and do it right. I will also double check, I think I am already using the synthetic stuff. I am getting adicted to this old outboard stuff. I have a garage full of them from when I bought the old place. I think next will be working on an A-50. It is cool looking.