Evinrude Junior advice

alcyone

Cadet
Hi,

I've just acquired an Evinrude Junior for my tender. Model no BEJRCCM, serial B1641081. Any advice re: age, mixture, and servicing? It seems to run fine but has been stored for a long time, so it could probably do with a bit of TLC.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude Junior advice

1988 model. Fuel mix 50:1 (although may have originally been sold as 100:1) 1.2 hp

See the article on the "Engine FAQs" board about "Awakening a sleeping out board"

Plug RJ6C gapped at 0.030"

Check/change gear box oil, replace seals if any evidence of water ingress.

alcyone

Cadet

Wow that was quick, many thanks.

I will do.

You wouldn't be the same VicS from the YBW place would you?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Often tender engines don't get used enough,especially if they are just for emergency purposes.I feel ,like the little kickers the boats use in event of main eng.breakdown.These engines should have much attn paid to them.I hear too often people that broke dwn with the backup not starting.Of coure .They didnt run with old fuel sitting in carn often for over a yr.Sailboaters especially.Be sure to run the eng often as possible,change the fuel at the same time,remember the impeller wears worse when it sits in same position for long periods

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

You wouldn't be the same VicS from the YBW place would you?

What from www.ybw.com/forums the best boating forums in the UK? Same user name, same avatar? Could be!

Good point by mikesea about the impeller. There's no telltale as far as I can see so keep an eye on the cooling and renew the impeller if in any doubt. (unfortunately the pump is on top of the gear box not behind the prop as it is in some fixed drive models)

Also just realised its a points ignition system so add points to the list of things to look at. 20 thou gap i guess unless anybody says otherwise.

You have probably already taken the cover off but if you haven't be warned the screw in the centre on top holds the starter altogether. Remove that and the spring escapes like a caged tiger.

alcyone

Cadet

well, well, small eWorld.

THanks for the advice. I've just stripped the leg. Impellor shot but the rest cleaned up nicely. Spot of grease, squirt of wd40 and she looks like a new old engine.