2005 Evinrude 115 HP intermittant no start

boat12345

Recruit
Have had ongoing intermittent no start (not turning over - nothing, dead) problem with my Evinrude E115FSLSO 115 HP outboard. Summer 2006 marina checked electrical, was ok, summer 2007 test relays, check all connections, replaced started solenoid , still doesn't work, summer 2008 still ongoing and becoming more frequent. Took it to a new marina with a Evinrude certified technician. First time in he did basic checks, connections, battery etc. couldn't find any problem, second time the no start actually occurred in the shop and he diagnosed the problem as "fuel pump circuit not grounding in EMM" and says need to replace EMM at a cost of almost $2K.

The engine only has 118 hours on it - I got the engine with 105 hours on it. No error codes now, two stored in memory - code 22 overheat switch closed which occurred 3 times (last at 25 hours) and code 48 air temperature below expected range which occurred at 100 hours. A couple of questions:

Has anyone else had this problem? Looked around the forums and didn't see much other than this post. I'm just concerned that this is the most expensive guess yet - does this sound like a reasonable solution to the problem?

Another concern is that the problem could reoccur and I'll be stuck with another big repair bill - assuming the problem is with the emm what might have caused it so that I can avoid a repeat?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

A frustrated Evinrude owner

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 2005 Evinrude 115 HP intermittant no start

There is a company that can repair the EMM. Someone may post the www.
If not I will try to find it for you.

boat12345

Recruit

Thanks, DFI will save me a few hundred $'s.

Cazterjc

Cadet

Hi Boat12345. After hours and hours of searching, I found your post. I have a 225 evinrude which is also a 2005 and does the same exact thing! I can use it for days, weeks at a time and every now and then, it wont start. It beeps when its in the on position, but when you turn to ignite, nothing happens. not a peep. if i let it sit for 10-15 minutes it will fire up again and work fine. I was wondering if the evinrude tech was able to tell right a wat when he plugged it in?