94 Evinrude 112 hp still the same ol problems..

tbull

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This boat is still bogging down and shutting off at WOT. Its a bear to start and idles like crap, here is what I have done. Checked compression on cylinders 105,106,107,114. Check spark on all cylinders great spark. Rebuilt the fuel pump a couple months ago, just cleaned and rebuilt carbs, looked at reed valves, no cracks or bends at all when I pulled the carbs. New primer bulb, new fuel lines. Rectifier recently went out replaced rectifier, tach went out at the same time, even with new rectifier tach still not working. New plugs champion JC4 plugs gapped to .40.....When I first put her in the water after rebuilding the carbs she ran like new for about 5 minutes and then shut down. I did pump the carbs full of fuel after the rebuild and there were no leaks in the carbs or any of the lines. After she went down hill she stayed there, limped back to the ramp and here I am back at square 1, this almost has to be electrical right? Please any help is much appreciated. Also performed link and sync to manual specs. :mad:

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 94 Evinrude 112 hp still the same ol problems..

Try spraying premix into the carbs to see if the motor picks up. I recently had a simular problem where the bottom carb picked up some trash and the float stuck. I must have had some trash in the line that I used to pull fuel through a new filter on my built in tank.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You've got the wrong plugs in the engine. Should be QL77JC4.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

did you do all this to the carbs, http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013, also something in the fuel lines could have broken loose and gotten into the clean carb. yep your plugs should be Champion QL77JC4 gapped at .030. have you done a link n sinc?

tbull

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry for the short abreviation guys but they are QL77JC4 gapped at .40. You say should gap at .30? Here is another question. I had a 70 hp johnson that was doing the same thing before I put this motor on, its weird to have the exact same problems on a different engine, even though I have already dumped $ in parts into the engine. I rebuilt the carbs to manual specs, and performed link and sync to manual specs. I pulled the pickup tube from the tank, I know sometimes the anti-syphon valve can be stuck, the tube does not even have one, just a screen on the inside and it was clean. Most people I have talked to swear this thing is sucking air, and no I have not hooked up a different tank. Basically the line goes from the pickup tube, then bypasses through the rear of the boat through an aluminum valve, fuel line hooks up underneath, and another fuel line attached to the other side to get through the boat, from there its into the bulb, inline fuel filter, and to the motor. I have noticed that sometimes there is a very faint gas leak on that aluminum valve, and this last time I had it out I was getting a small amount of fuel on my fingers when I would rub them on the fuel hookup to the motor. I am thinking of bypassing both the aluminum valve, and the quick connect and go straight from the tank to the fuel pump and see if it helps, what do you all think?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sounds like a plan.. eliminate as many possible leak areas.

tbull

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Now is it ok to bypass that quick connect for the fuel, I would imagine the only problem could just be the danger of not being able to disconnect the fuel line quickly incase of an emergency?? I guess though if I find this cures the problem, I could just keep the aluminum valve bypass in place and replace the quick connect hookup to the tank....Guess I just anwered my own question.:D