Just Bought A 1988 V4 Evinrude 110hp 2 Stroke...Need Knowledgeable Opinions Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epitome

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought a boat with a 1988 V4 Evinrude 110hp 2 stroke with fairly low hours and I would like to know the reputation of this motor. Has it proven to be a good runner over the long haul? This motor was very well maintained by the original owner and had relatively little use over its life, which was exclusively in freshwater. Starts right up and seems to run fine. I want to be sure it will be reliable (if it can be) and would like to know the suggested services I should do. Also, a friend that is not familiar with the motor has suggested that sometimes people bypass the oil injection unit and just keep the fuel mixed in the tank to add reliability. I appreciate any experienced advice I can get. Thanks ahead of time :)

D

DJ

Re: Just Bought A 1988 V4 Evinrude 110hp 2 Stroke...Need Knowledgeable Opinions Pleas

1. Bulletproof--if properly maintained.

2. Buy a manual.

3. Change the lower unit fluid and water pump impeller. Make sure you change the fill/drain plug screw seals.

4. Keep the oil injection, just do the following.

-clean out the oil tank.
-add fresh oil.
-run 50/50 mixed fuel until you verify oil use from tank.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Just Bought A 1988 V4 Evinrude 110hp 2 Stroke...Need Knowledgeable Opinions Pleas

Great motors the V4's
Look after it and follow the above post's advice from DJ.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

And by the way, welcome to iboats.

Epitome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you so much for the fast reply. The boat was serviced every spring and every fall a mile from where it was purchased. It was garage kept for 11 months out of the year. Starts right up and even looks pretty darn good except for some paint missing on the lower unit...which I expect may be common. The fact that it was only in freshwater makes me feel good too. I will do all the things you suggest and really appreciate the assurance on the model's durability history.

I am sure I will be back on here for suggestions on other things :)

Epitome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Where is the best place to order the manual and all the parts I needs online? Thanks :)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Right here on this site. See the links at the top of the pages. E-Bay can work as well.

Epitome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When I look for the impeller and carb listing on this site it doesn't list any 110 hp motor at all. Perhaps it is listed as a different horsepower and I just won't see that until I get the manual? I do see the 110 hp motor listed in the props section, but that's it.

http://www.iboats.com/Evinrude_Impellers/dm/*******.373295463--**********.831173438--view_id.270095

Also, what is the max rpm for this motor? I suppose that may be in the manual too. Thanks :)

eFish

Cadet

In my opinion if you ever get really involved in repairing or fixing anything on the engine you should get the REAL manual for your year and model from eBay. The others are just waste of paper for your model.

Epitome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I called Iboats to place the order and they couldn't find a listing for the impeller either. They gave me the name to Johnson and to the parts manufacturer to see if it is still available. I did and it is in fact available, just not listed. So I have the new seals, the manual and the impeller on the way.

I will look at the old plugs and wires and order new. I still don't know what the max rpm should be for that motor, hopefully the manual will help if no one on here knows. Thanks again :)

James R

Commander

The information you have got so far is good, however cleaning the carbs is a must. If one carb fails to deliver fuel and therefore oil you will have a blown motor. Not a bad idea to rebuild the fuel pump while you are working on it.
Be sure to check for blockages and air leaks in the fuel system. A shortage of fuel will easily destroy a two stroke motor.
Welcome and good luck.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

your max rpms, should be with todays gas, 5500-6000. it was 4500-5500 but it will run cooler and better, at the higher rpms.

Epitome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was planning on checking all hoses and such and cleaning the carbs for sure (or even rebuild if needed, though they seem fine. The fuel pump idea isn't a bad idea. I'll price and check on a new one. I am more inclined to change it if it's electric vs mechanical.

ziggy12369

Cadet

I have the same motor and want to buy the original manuel. Where was it that you found your manuel?

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1. Bulletproof--if properly maintained.

2. Buy a manual.

3. Change the lower unit fluid and water pump impeller. Make sure you change the fill/drain plug screw seals.

4. Keep the oil injection, just do the following.

-clean out the oil tank.
-add fresh oil.
-run 50/50 mixed fuel until you verify oil use from tank.

Not to second guess DJ who I am sure is more knowledgable than I am, but I believe he ment to type 50/1 mixed fuel gas/oil. Other than that I believe that you will be very happy with this motor.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

your max rpms, should be with todays gas, 5500-6000. it was 4500-5500 but it will run cooler and better, at the higher rpms.

I have pushed mine a little past 7000 without any problems. It was a 115 with a short tail - now it is a 135 with a long tail and it runs like a scalded dog dependably year after year. The more I run it the better it runs. It is one fuel hungry dude though. I can blow 17 gals in under an hour running hard @ 65mph plus.

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer

most importantly you need to be in the upper limits of your wot rpms which most recomendably would be 5500-5800 rpms i had a 93' evinrude 140 that i regret getting rid of bulletproof is the only word for those old 4 cyl john/rudes

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Wow, this re-appeared from last September !!!!

izzydawg

Recruit
i just bought a boat last year, its a 1988 Cajun Espirit with a 1988 110 evinrude V4. My seals went bad in my lower unit because i had a lot of water in my gear lube, and i can't figure out why this lower unit won't drop so I can't get to the seals. I'm stuck and I can't figure out how to get to the shifter rod out to remove the lower unit. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.