Johnson Sailmaster 15 won't start

Gizmobreaker

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1985 Johnson 15HP Sailmaster J15RLCOB. No electric start, no alternator. Water pumps fine. Earlier this season, I had water in my fuel and had that problem professionally repaired. Ouch! For what Brewers charged, I could have almost bought a new motor. But it ran after that, twice out of the harbor and twice in (I only sail on weekends).
I had them replace the water pump impeller, just to be sure.
I installed a Yamaha bulkhead mounted water separating filter, just in case.
Yesterday, I motored out of my mooring location (Branford Harbor, CT) to LI Sound and it ran better than it ever had. The boat (1976 Catalina 27) moved along faster than I could believe. I guess I should have been suspicious.
When I tried to start the motor to come back in, it would not even try to start. I pulled the plugs and they were wet with gas (smell test), but clean. I let the fuel evaporate and reinstalled them. I pulled the filter and drained the gas into a clean cup and it looked good. No water. Pale green in color, which I suspect is from the stabilizer. (Why did the filter gasket swell up? It was now larger than the seat on the filter. I could not re-install the filter.)
Eventually, I had to call for a tow.
What do I do next? Some observations:
There was gas in the tank, which is new, this season. Plastic Moeller.
The fuel line is longer, now, due to the filter installation, but there seems to be plenty of fuel if I slowly disconnect the engine fitting and watch for gas.
There are no right angle fittings in the line.
While looking at the motor, I did notice that the fuel line runs around the engine, from one side to the other, and up to the fuel pump(?). Where it passes under the cylinder head, it seems to be slightly melted where it touches the cylinder head, but not leaking. Again, gas did get to the plugs.
The Catalina 27 mounts the outboard through a large hole in the transom, and has a lazarette. When the motor is tilted up it passes through the transom. Because of this arrangement, new motors can be mounted but cannot be tilted up, without modifying (cutting) the top of the hole.
Because I am at a mooring and have an inflatable dinghy, it is difficult to remove and replace the motor (75 pounds). Any thoughts on that would be appreciated, too. I wish I had a lift or a davit, but I don't. Considering it, though...
This is no fun. Any thoughts? I can't bear the thought of paying Brewers another $750.00.
Thanks for any help.
Marty

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson Sailmaster 15 won't start

sounds like the float needle is stuck open. did you check for spark?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check out "Outboard won't start" in the Engine FAQs Forum.

Let us know what you find.

Gizmobreaker

Seaman Apprentice

Thank, gentlemen, for the speedy replies. I'm gathering the tools and spares for a full tilt attempt on Friday. I'll report back with whatever I learn (which is probably that I should not have bought a boat!). If you can think of any other items that would be good to have along, I'd love to hear from you.

Yours,
Marty

freddyray21

Commander

a motor needs three things to run. fuel, compression and spark all at the right times. I think you are looking in the wrong areas. If it is getting gas to the cylinders then fuel is not your issue unless it's flooded. Usually if that is the case cleaning the plugs and a pull or two on the starter rope reinstall the plugs and it will run. It could be compression, but not likely. So that leaves spark. Have you checked the spark? If no spark on either cyDoes the motor have a kill switch or a lanyard? I would check there first if so for a stuck or grounded kill switch or lanyard.

Gizmobreaker

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Johnson Sailmaster 15 starts now!

Re: Johnson Sailmaster 15 starts now!

Gentlemen, I did as you suggested. The FAQ was a big help, too.

Compression is 95 top, 91 lower. No spark, on either coil, on either of 2 types of spark testers. Shut off button functions. Ignored the carburetor, for the moment. Changed the power pack. Started right up.

Thanks for the clear advice. I appreciate it.

BaitThrower

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep had to change the power pack on my 86 15hp recently too because of poor spark. Glad to hear u got it working.

Gizmobreaker

Seaman Apprentice
testing power pack

testing power pack

I read in the Johnson service manual that since the power pack is an expensive part, one should take the suspect unit to the dealer for testing. Is this easy to test? Can I do it myself? I have a full electronics shop at my disposal. Will a dealer do this at low or no cost?

I would love to verify that my power pack is indeed the problem. Getting towed in was no fun. Well, it wasn't horrible, either; the guy was pleasant and it sure beats still being out there.

freddyray21

Commander

I don't have my manual with me. THere maybe a test that can be done with simple tools I will check. It is more than likely the powerpack since it solved the problem, but could be a bad ground ect.

Gizmobreaker

Seaman Apprentice

I don't think that it was a bad ground, but I could be wrong. I did check continuity, and the resistance was very low, but you never can really tell what is happening when you're pulling the starter cord.

When I put in the new pack, I was careful to clean the casting where the ground terminal seats - it did have some corrosion on the head. The terminal is isolated from the power pack by fiber washers, so the only other path is through one bolt to the power pack to the other bolt to the head. Not the best path, but possible.

I'm leaving in a few minutes to where the boat and the manual live, so maybe there is a test that I didn't see last time

I'll call the local dealer, too.

Smooth sailing, everyone.