New Water Pump...Doesn't Pump Water!

willawalla

Cadet
I have a 50 hp Johnson that I got a new water pump kit for, a complete one. I installed it and it still doesn't pump water!
Any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New Water Pump...Doesn't Pump Water!

are you sure the key did not slip, and the water tubes is lined up. what year 50?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Did you change the pump as routine maintenance or because it stopped pumping ???
What did the old impeller look like ???

Is this a "new to you" motor ???

willawalla

Cadet

Did you change the pump as routine maintenance or because it stopped pumping ???
What did the old impeller look like ???

Is this a "new to you" motor ???

I just bought the engine, it had been stored for many years. I think it's a 73 model. First thing I had to do was change the power pack; the old type with the screw-in wires. Got spark, so I decided to change water pump before I put it on my boat. The old one was intact, but very dry-rotted.
Could it be the thermostat, which I don't even want to get into? Or could've wasps or ants have caused a blockage in the engine? That's all I can think of.
However, I did run the engine for a full minute and it stayed relatively cool, you could put your hand anywhere on the head and it was barely warm.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I dont know this motor so I am just generalising. There are many experts out here that will know this one inside out.
Does it have a tell tale on it ??? how do you know it is not pumping cooling water ???? is there no water flow at all that you can see ???? is it a through the prop exhaust ????

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Also is this in the water or on muffs?

My motor always pumped water on muffs until the last time I changed it now it is really hard to get it to run on muffs but pumps like a champ on the water.