1976 70 HP Evinrude Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi folks,
I have a 1976 70 HP Evinrude that has been in storage for 17 years that I'm hoping to get some advice on in troubleshooting.

What it's doing:
Using the choke on a cold start the motor starts quickly and after a brief warm up (less than a minute) at a fast idle it will idle down smoothly. The motor runs well at most speeds and I get 5400 RPM at 33 MPH at wide open throttle. The motor idles at 1050 RPM in neutral, and about 785 in gear. The problem is what seems to be a lean bog as I advance the throttle past low speeds to get the boat on plane. It starts to hesitate at about 1800 RPM and struggles until past 3000 RPM, then responds well. I say a "lean" bog because if I just quickly blip the choke when it's hesitating it'll pick right up and take off, which indicates to me it's lean for fuel at those speeds. Pumping the primer bulb has no effect on how the engine runs.

What I've done to date:
After removal from storage I replaced the water pump, all of the fuel lines, and the spark plugs. I purchased a kit and rebuilt the fuel pump. I purchased carburetor kits and took the carbs apart. They were remarkably clean inside, and only the lower carb had some varnish deposits in the bottom around the high speed orfice. Regardless, I removed the high and low speed orfices from all the carbs and cleaned them, used jet spray carb cleaner and compressed air through all of the passages, and gently ran a fine wire chase through the nozzels and through the 3 small idle ports in the carb casting near the throttle plates to makes sure they were not blocked, which they weren't. I put in all new gaskets and washers, new floats, and new needles and seats. I made sure the float levels were set so that when inverted the floats were parallel with the surface of the carb. The reeds in the reed cages looked like new and I put everything back together. I do have the factory service manual and I checked the link and synch as detailed and it appears to be spot on without me having to adjust anything. I also checked the timing plate under the flywheel and it moves smoothly and freely as the throttle is advanced. I also, of course, put fresh oil in the gearcase and lubed all the lube points. Also, compression for the 3 cylinders measures 140, 138, 138. All of the above work was done before I started the motor for the first time.

Do you have any ideas as to what may still be causing this hesitation as the throttle is advanced? I am thinking of pulling the carbs again and setting the floats a little higher to slightly raise the fuel level in the bowls, but am otherwise a bit stumped as to why it goes lean in the low midrange. Any and all ideas and questions are welcome! Thanks very much!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 70 HP Evinrude Troubleshooting

Sounds as if you are off to a good start so far.

It does sound to be running lean, and if the problem is not fuel related, consider a possible leaky crankshaft seal, admitting air to the cylinder and resulting in the lean sneeze. Just a guess though, as I assume you changed the other gaskets during the carb rebuild and you seemed to thoroughally clean all jets/orifices, which is where the problem normally lies.

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Chris!
Yes, all gaskets disassembled were replaced with new. I also put in a new thermostat to be safe. The idea of a leaky crank seal sounds possible. Any idea how to test/verify that on an outboard motor? I assume it could be the upper as well as the lower?
Thanks again!

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, wouldn't a leaky crank seal lean out just one cylinder, or could it affect all 3? When the engine is bogging if I continue to ease the throttle forward it'll get past the bogging RPM and then take off strongly. However, if I hit the throttle hard while it's bogging it'll lean out and die altogether. Seems like if a leaky seal were affecting just the one cylinder (top or bottom) that the motor wouldn't completely die. Your thoughts?
Thanks!

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTT
Hoping someone has seen this or has ideas to try, or advice on checking for a leaky crank seal?
Thanks!

tommypan

Recruit

Did any of these suggestions work for you? I have a 1977 Evinrude that has the same problem. It will hesitate and stall when I try to push down the throttle. I can pull back before it stalls and it will go back to idle. A few times or sometimes many repeats of the above it will take off on full power.
Just had a complete carb kit rebuild for all 3 carbs with no improvement.

Brokeback Johnson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like clogged jets to me......most likely high speed.

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did any of these suggestions work for you? I have a 1977 Evinrude that has the same problem. It will hesitate and stall when I try to push down the throttle. I can pull back before it stalls and it will go back to idle. A few times or sometimes many repeats of the above it will take off on full power.
Just had a complete carb kit rebuild for all 3 carbs with no improvement.

Wow,this is reviving an old thread. :)
I did get my problem resolved. Turns out these engines had a few issues in these years with lean bogging on acceleration. After ruling out most everything else I changed out the low speed jets and put in jets with an orfice 2 sizes larger (richer). If you look at factory specs in subsequent years you'll see that OMC did the same thing from the factory in either 1978 or 79, I forget which. Anyway, in one of those years the carb part number remains the same but the low speed jet was replaced with one that was one step larger in orfice size. I stepped up 2 sizes from my original and my lean bog went away. The only difference in idle is that now if i'm running the ingine with a severe degree of tilt, i.e. if landing the boat on a beach with the motor tilted up a fair amount, the idle goes very rich and the motor doesn't want to idle long when tilted. It idles well when down in the normal running position. Changing the low speed jets is very easy and you don't need to take the carb apart to do it. Just take the air intake silencer cover off and you can unscew the low speed jet from the front with a jet screwdriver or ground down flat screwdriver, which is what I used. Just make sure you don't drop the tiny jet into the front of the carb air intake or you can be in a world of hurt. I tilted my motor up a little when doing it, so if I dropped a jet it would fall forward away from the engine, rather than into it. The low speed jet is the one on the top of the carb, and the high speed jet is at the bottom. If you take one jet out and take it to a good OMC parts dealer they can reference the size stamped into the face of your jet and sell you one that is as many steps larger as you want to try.
The other thing I noticed was a small amount of play (clearance) between the throttle plate shaft and the body of each carburetor. I don't know if the amount of clearance I noticed was normal, or the result of wear, but I do know if you get too much clearance there the carb can let extra air through that opening and lean the mixture to the engine. I packed a small amount of heavy grease on the outside of the throttel shafts where they meet the carb body to seal off or reduce any air getting through there, but it was the jet change that solved my problem. Good luck!

ruprik

Recruit
Agree - an oldie but a goodie! I did exactly the same thing as 1kruzer1 on my 1976 70hp Evinrude (70673D) and changed out the low speed jets. Totally easy, took 10 minutes once I figured out how to get the jet out. I also tipped the motor to the trailering position and then tapped on the side of the carb until it fell out into my hand since it's threads are pretty deep and it rides out on the threads of a blocking screw...plus, non-magnetic. I blocked the carb opening to be sure it didn't fall inside.

This hesitation on acceleration has been a problem for me for years to the point where I never wanted to even take her out on the water. I should have searched iBoats.com forums long ago. I did find a service bulletin on this forum which I had planned to do (Johnson outboards, SB-#1429 or Evinrude #1144 - they are exactly the same) - see https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...ards/85027-service-bulletin-1429-for-evinrude.

The SB recommends additional modifications (removing the carbs, manually drilling out some holes a bit larger, replacing some plugs, etc.). I bought all of the necessary parts and then saw that 1kruzer1 only changed the low speed jets and didn't bother with the other stuff. That sounded much less painful so I decided to do that (plus it was reversible vs the SB procedure which is not). For me, changing the low speed jets fixed the problem 100%! Yea!

Note that the stock jets were marked 30 and I replaced them with 32s just as per step 6 in the Johnson SB which reads as follows: "6. Remove the .030 idle orifice, shake and blow out any drill chips [unnecessary, as no drilling was done], and install the .032 idle orifice PN 320016."

I didn't notice any issue with throttle plate shaft play but I did grease all of the linkages up well and the rotating pins for the plates, etc. before putting everything back together.

Good luck!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The only thing agreed to is this thread is old, real old.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.