• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

1957 18 Hp Johnson -tiller Handle Timing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 18 Hp Johnson -tiller Handle Timing

1957 18 Hp Johnson -tiller Handle Timing

I Just Got This One And Timing If Off At Mechanical Linkage .
    The Gear And Shift Assembly Seem To Be In Time.

When Turned To Full Throttle The Cam Slip Off Pinion.
    So I Adjusted It To Work Without Cam Slip Off The Pinion.

I Think There Is A Timing At The Gear And Pinion.
    No The Shift Handle Itself , Where Read Start/shift / Full
    Points To Start At Full Throttle.

But, The Cam And Roll Is Indexed At And Inch Away From The End Of The Cam Ont The Armature Plate.

There Are Two Marks Above Brass Cam Double Line And Single Line.
    I Believe The Double Line At Full Throttle Mark And Single To Be Mot Or Start Point?
    Is This Correct?
    Does Any Know How To Time Correctly.

Re: 1957 18 Hp Johnson -tiller Handle Timing

Are you still fighting that same problem? Listen up--

With the twist grip turned toward the stop direction, the first tooth of the pinion half-gear should be set to engage the first groove in the other gear.

Then, when you turn it toward full throttle position, it should be impossible for it to go far enough to disengage the gear teeth.

If it does go far enough to disengage the gear teeth, there is something wrong with the linkage between there and the armature plate. It would only be guessing on our part to say where the linkage problem is. My guess is that the pin is missing from the bottom of the vertical shaft, or the vertical shaft is bent (twisted). You have to look for yourself to see if I guessed correctly.

Comment

Nothing seem to be twisted linkage , nothing missing......but gear teeth at stop are 3 off.
      i am going to correct,

Question on cam stopping point at armature plate.
      When the tiller handle is twisted to stop, where should the brass Cam on armature plate end up? ......Is close to end of brass plate or dose go out past the brass cam plate that attached to bottom of armature plate?

Also how far should the it go when at make full throttle on that brass plate?...
      To the end plate or to the making on armature plate above the Cam ?

Also, i just pick this motor up ... it came with the problem.
      Dose someone know how teeth should be on half gear? in case some replaced with wrong one.

Comment

There is only one gear to pick from.

Does this picture answer your question?
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by F_R View Post
          Are you still fighting that same problem? Listen up--
          Different guy I think F_R. And a slightly different issue.

"With the twist grip turned toward the stop direction, the first tooth of the pinion half-gear should be set to engage the first groove in the other gear.

Then, when you turn it toward full throttle position, it should be impossible for it to go far enough to disengage the gear teeth.

If it does go far enough to disengage the gear teeth, there is something wrong with the linkage between there and the armature plate. It would only be guessing on our part to say where the linkage problem is. My guess is that the pin is missing from the bottom of the vertical shaft, or the vertical shaft is bent (twisted). You have to look for yourself to see if I guessed correctly."
          Right on the money though!

Shipwreck wrote:
          "When Turned To Full Throttle The Cam Slip Off Pinion.
          So I Adjusted It To Work Without Cam Slip Off The Pinion."
          Sorry not following here. You mean the roller falls off the cam? Or was it that the bevel gears got misaligned?

"I Think There Is A Timing At The Gear And Pinion.
          No The Shift Handle Itself , Where Read Start/shift / Full
          Points To Start At Full Throttle."
          You have the correct handle? White one with 3 narrow ridges and one wide ridge with the arrow? Make sure your tiller gears are aligned correctly. Wide tooth in the wide slot. Pretty self explanatory. Make sure the pins that hold the tiller gears to the shafts are not wobbled out and loose. Then the bevel gear alignment as F_R has explained.

"But, The Cam And Roll Is Indexed At And Inch Away From The End Of The Cam Ont The Armature Plate."
          A wot? I don't really think the double marks mean anything. The only one that matters is the single scribe mark on the cam itself. That should be aligned with the roller at the moment when the throttle butterfly just begins to open. Basic link-n-sink procedure. Good luck with it!

Cheers...........Todd

Comment

Working...
          X