Vintage 5hp Johnson TD-20 elctronic parts...

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer
Greetings all,

A farmer in NY gave me a vintage Johnson that he would like me to restore for his son, which, in turn, would like to give it to his son for Christmas (was the dad's grandfathers'--lots of family history with this). Was looking for some advice on some vintage TD-20 parts.

Is there any particular site anyone recommends, that still stocks gaskets, stacked points, condensers... I have a few sites that I use, but really need some gaskets and one of the point push pins (that ride the cam) has a chip off the tip and would like to replace it.

I want everything perfect on this one! Using "nymarine" for the paint and decals, and the rest is pure fun for me!! Your thoughts...

~FB~

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Vintage 5hp Johnson TD-20 elctronic parts...

Anyone with any sites for obtaining vintage gaskets for Johnson TD-20? Thanks,

~FB~

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I did see a site recently, but didn't make a note of it and don't recall who it was.
Johnson didn't put up gaskets in a set in those days. Do you have a parts book? That is the first half of your battle. Once you get a list of part numbers you need, call http://www.sea-way.com/index.htm The phone number is on the website.

wbeaton

Commander

I have the TD-20 parts manual in pdf format. Send me your email via PM and I'll send it to you. You will probably have to make your own gaskets.

eavega

Lieutenant

I've had luck finding parts for my older outboards from sea-way (as FR previously posted). Another website that I have found vintage parts on is http://www.vintageoutboard.com/. They have a link for "gaskets" specifically, so you may be able to find some of what you need.

-Eric

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer

All,
That's great!! I'll take the advice and try the sites. As I told 'wbeaten', I want this job to turn out perfect! I have everything lined up for the perfect restoration job. I appreciate your help,

~FB~

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Where in NY are you?
In Rochester,NY,There is Mayers Marina.Old Bill Mayers has a veritable mountain of old outboard parts(new old stock) and he loves to help those who help themselves.
His phone # is 585-323-1010.
You will have to come and get the parts because he has no time to send things.He is far too busy fixing old outboards.

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer

"Rolmops"
I'm a chef instructor, used to work in a fine German restaurant in Patchouge, NY. Roll Mops were on the menu... Haven't heard that name in quite a while!

Grew up in eastern L.I. Not too many vintage motors there. The salt water reaks havoc on them and very few are taken care of and few are in good condition. Took a small engine/Marine repair course and turned it into a small business on the side from teaching now. I ""absolutely"" love marine repair and those small vintage motors are my speciality. That 'farmer' I spoke about is a friend of my dads and I want to get this restoration better than the motor looked back in 46'.

I'd love to visit Mayers Marina when ever I'm in that area. Quite a hike form Delaware, where I'm now. I'd better take a couple hundred $ with me, there's always a treasure hiding in those type places!! I'll save the phone number and information. Thanks for passing it along to me. You never know!

~FB~