1967 60 hp sportfour evinrude ?? low power

Zeph

Seaman Apprentice
Hi there, I have a 1967 60 hp Sportfour Evinrude. I have done quite a bit of work to this engine, seals, new wiring harness etc. to get it on the water. I now have it seemingly running pretty well, however it is extremely doggy in getting going. With my wife and 2 daughters, I have to lean over the bow to get it to step up on plane, and even then it takes quite a while. It moves along pretty well once it's up and going. Around 30 mph+ I do not have a tach on it, so I am not sure of the rpm. I know I need to be cautious of over-revving, but does this sound typical of have the wrong prop for some get up and go? When just my brother and I are on it, it is still sluggish but not nearly as much. I checked compression, and it seems reasonable, peaking a little over 100lbs, and pretty well balanced. I don't know how super accurate my tester is, but the cylinders seem to be within a few pounds of each other at the most. The motor is on a 1967 15' Starcraft runabout.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1967 60 hp sportfour evinrude ?? low power

are you running on all cylinders, have you check spark, should jump 1/2 inch. try to get an induction timing light with the tach feature, to test the rpm, at wot. are you sure you are not carrying extra weight, such as water saturated foam? have you tried adjusting the trim angle of the motor, moving the pin, 1 hole at a time closer to the transom?

Zeph

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. It is running on all 4 cylinders, and I do think the foam is dry. (the floor and foam have been replaced). I'm going to put in a new set of plugs to see if that helps. I didn't mess with the trim angle, as I am not sure which way to go to help. When I accelerate, the boat slogs until I get to around 13 mph or so and it starts to step on plane. but the motor takes a loong time to get to full rpm. When it starts to plane, then the motor will come up to speed. My throttle is opening all the way. (it wasn't until I adjusted it). When up to speed though it rips right along. Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Which prop are you running? The "small hub" prop works best on most rigs.

Zeph

Seaman Apprentice

Hi F.R. I'm pretty new to all this, I am unsure of what a "small hub" would be compared with anything else. I was trying to read the numbers on the prop, but the best I could see was something like 10-12 as I recall. That doesn't make sense to me, as I have read of folks messing with props with a 19 to 21 pitch. I'm guessing one number is diameter, and the other is pitch? Thanks again

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe check your link & sync again. Took me three years to get mine right. My distributor wasn't advancing enough and now that it's adjusted properly it takes off as fast as you can push the throttle down. Mine is a 75 hp on a 16' fiberglass and it does at least 30mph with a 10x9 1/4 prop.
Check out my holeshot video on Youtube by searching "speedifour".

i have this same engine and it does the same thing ,jumps right up on plane and screws when im alone.my boat is a 78 wellcraft airslot weighs in at almost 1700 lbs without the 225 lb.engine.but put 20 gallons in the tank,a 4 year old a 9 year old and the old lady and it really struggles to get up on plane . but hey, its only a 60 hp im lookin into a 115 v4 evinrude not much bigger or heavier than what were runnin now.that will launch it out of the water i hope. good luck friend.the prop your running is way to much you need a 10x9 1/4 they offered 4 different props for these motors yours i the biggest and is bogging you down.

Last edited: