Question 2000 ficht 225 yes or no

edge710

Cadet
I currently have a 24' 97 Sunbird cc with a 97 225 looper wich runs out pretty good. I blew the lower unit and was thinking about rebuilding the power head over the winter just to keep it fresh. The local dealer has a 2000 ficht 225 with a little over 300 hrs on it and a new lower unit for around $4000. Was just wondering if I should just rebuild and stay with the looper and bad fuel econ or give the ficht a chance. He says that all the controls should hook right up and the swap shouldnt be a big deal. Just not sure about that year and model. Would like to save my pennies for a etec

Thanks

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Question 2000 ficht 225 yes or no

Save your money and fix the LU. The early Ficht's are not worth $4000, new LU or not.

E-Tec's are great ... I've had a pair of 175's for three years with zero issues.

edge710

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. Definitely have to reconsider it is just the newer motor looked so nice sitting there and he told me that it could be installed in a few hours. I have had the 225 Ocean Pro for three yrs now and it has easily given me over 200 hrs of trouble free hard hrs. except for the lower unit. just that it is so heavy on fuel and oil. Cant really complain.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If your motor only has 200 hours on it, it shouldn't need a rebuild. Barely broke in. If you're even thinking about an E-Tec then just do it. Lots of folks are scared of the Ficht motors but if your repair guy is trained then it shouldn't be a big deal if you ever need him. Yes, there were some upgrades for those early motors, if they've all been done (your dealer can pull the records for that serial number) it should be a good motor.

edge710

Cadet

If your motor only has 200 hours on it, it shouldn't need a rebuild. Barely broke in. If you're even thinking about an E-Tec then just do it. Lots of folks are scared of the Ficht motors but if your repair guy is trained then it shouldn't be a big deal if you ever need him. Yes, there were some upgrades for those early motors, if they've all been done (your dealer can pull the records for that serial number) it should be a good motor.

I was triing to say that I have put at least those many hours on my boat since I have acquired it 3 yrs ago no telling how many previous hrs. I was just kidding about the etec I they seem like great motors just not sure if I want to spend the 16 to 20000$ on my old boat.

Reel Stamas

Recruit

Sorry... didn't see date... old post... deleted...

Last edited:

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Why are you adding to a three year old thread???

daselbee

Commander

Look out for the MOD attack coming your way.