• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

1964 Evinrude 60 HP Ignition wiring; cap, rotor

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Evinrude 60 HP Ignition wiring; cap, rotor

ok
    i have a 1964 ? evinrude 60 hp, mod 60453S ser E05311
    ive read related post but i think I'm missing a part
    i have the rotor, and distributer cap but there seems to be too much gap between them.
    as cyl.1,3 had spark but 2,4 did not .
    i changed the points (2), condenser(1)
    after change
    first spin had good spark on all 4,
    put plugs into cyl heads. spin and nothing ,
    took alll back out,
    all 4 no spark
    i may be in need of new cap, rotor ??? if so where do i find?
    local parts shop said there is a pc and spring between cap and rotor??
    i dont have parts breakdown to look at.

yes points are gapped ok.

the distributor cap is 3 3/8 x 5 3/4.
    covers the coil box at the rear third and has the four wire posts on the forward end.
    there is a spring in the cap to make contact with the coil pack contact.

center of the cap has a brass post 3/8 diameter looks to be carbon core
    looks as the rotor has been riding on it .
    (brass filings around it) but no spring or spinner cap to contact the rotor.

Re: 1964 Evinrude 60 HP Ignition wiring; cap, rotor

Part number 580291 brush and spring assembly. Goes in the brass center hole in the cap and spring keeps it in contact with the rotor.

Comment

the local shop has no listing for this part is this part still to be found?
      is it a brush like a electric motor brush.. can i modify and make to fit?
      I'm a machinist/tool&diemaker so if i have specs to work to....
      thanks for confirming my thoughts as to the spacing.

Comment

Get a new dealer. www.ishopmarine.com lists it at $14.27. Yes, in theory is is similar to an electric motor brush, except very tiny. Sorry, I don't have any to measure.

Comment

thanks for the online shop

Comment

I need a new cap and rotor., I'm not getting good spark were can i get one?

Comment

Mach18, didn't you read FR's post?
              1987 Doral Classic 200 Bowrider, 4.3 Mercruiser/Alpha One, 1970 Evinrude 9.5hp Sportwin, 1965 Johnson 5hp, 1964 Evinrude Speedifour, 1963 Evinrude Starflite and 1960 Evinrude Lark and when all else fails, Upper Canada Paddle Company paddles

Comment

I have a similar engine, I have great output from the coil when cranking with the cap off and holding a a screwdriver a half inch or so away from the coil contact. But no fire to the plugs, so either a bad cap or rotor or both I think.. I dont see the cap or rotor for these engines listed on Ishopmarine. Thanks

Comment

Sounds like you have a bad rotor. They were great for grounding out. By the way this thread is about a year old. Check the Blue Highlited Heading at the top of this forum.

Comment

Both rotor and distributor are available
                    Rotor 0580260
                    Distributor 0580292

Bring your wallet. Together they will cost you about $300.
                    Please no PMs. My mailbox is full anyway......

Comment

I replaced the rotor today, still no fire at the plug leads, has to be the cap correct? Ishopmarine says 0580292
                      no longer avaible

Comment

Have you checked to see if the 580291 brush and spring assembly is in the distributor cap? It would seem unlikely that all four leads would be out at the same time. The distributor cap is still available at other places online, but I'd hate to see you keep replacing expensive parts that don't need replacing.
                        Please no PMs. My mailbox is full anyway......

Comment

Working...
                        X