evinrude jet to prop conversion help

chuckhannah

Recruit
I have a 1991 evinrude v4 90 hp jet I want to put a prop on what lower unit do I need? my model # is e90jleie thanks!

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: evinrude jet to prop conversion help

I have a 1991 evinrude v4 90 hp jet I want to put a prop on what lower unit do I need? my model # is e90jleie thanks!

I don't know the answer to your question, but if nothing else, you might be able to find it in the www.brp.com parts look up feature.

One question I do have, just to give you a heads up in case you didn't already know: Is yours a factory installed jet? The JL in the model number, I think, means "jet" "long shaft", therefore I believe it came from the factory with the jet installed. Many jets (like mine) are aftermarket.

Some outboards (most? all?) that come from the factory as a jet outboard can't take a conventional lower unit. You might want to check into that before you get too far into it. The jet unit itself is the same whether it's factory or aftermarket (Outboard Jets Company), but sometimes the gear shifting mechanism needed for a prop lower unit are not present in the engines manufactured specifically for jets. This can make installation of a prop L/U difficult or prohibitive. As you know, your jet has external cables right down to the jet unit to shift the reverse boot. An engine manufactured for a prop L/U uses cables that go into the cowling to connect with a mechanism in there which in turn activates the shift linkage to the L/U. I believe the water tube and the drive shaft will be the same, but you might be missing the shifting parts.

My jet outboards have always been aftermarket jets which means I can switch back and forth with the prop unit (which I never do), just tranfering the cables from the jet unit to the gear connection (which yours may not have).

Good luck.