Evinrude 225 Vindicator engine alarm!!

dperk1212

Recruit
I have a 1996 225 Vindicator. Just bought it a month ago. It had sat for a year, with one or two uses. Since I bought it, I have used it every weekend. And it ran great!! 45 MPH in a 210 Campion!
Last weekend, when I was coming out of the hole, and getting on plane, the engine alarm and warning light came on at 4000 rpm.,, it did this a couple times as I limped home,,, not wanting to blow it up.
It will go to full rpm I found,, but will lose power almost imediately after I get on plane.
I pulled the fuel filter off at the engine,, and yes there was some dirt and scale in it,, so I blew it out backwards and had good flow.
It IS using oil,, so I don't think it is my oil pump.
I am wondering if it is an in-tank fuel filter,,,,,, but am VERY open to any suggestions as to a less expensive fix than taking it into the shop.

help?:eek:

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Evinrude 225 Vindicator engine alarm!!

Does your engine have one warning light, or several for "no oil", "low oil", "overheat" etc.? Doe it have a single type of warning horn, or several differnt signals - e.g. constant horn, fast intermittant horn, slow intermittant horn?

Did the horn come on only at high RPM (4,000 like you said) or did it come on at lower RPMs also when you were limping home?

How is the water pump working?

dperk1212

Recruit
Re: Evinrude 225 Vindicator engine alarm!!

Does your engine have one warning light, or several for "no oil", "low oil", "overheat" etc.? Doe it have a single type of warning horn, or several differnt signals - e.g. constant horn, fast intermittant horn, slow intermittant horn?

Did the horn come on only at high RPM (4,000 like you said) or did it come on at lower RPMs also when you were limping home?

How is the water pump working?

it has a few lights. engine, oil, temp, and charge... one more I think.
when I turn the key, it opens them all up and gives me an "ok" beep then goes off as normal. I have never heard any of the other alarms,,so I don't know if they sound any different.
when it goes off,, it is about a 20 second long "horn,,or haha,,really loud beep"
the horn only comes on when throttling up and hits 4000 rpm,,,it does not go off at a limp.
I pulled the air box off,,there was some clean engine oil in it,,, a little worried now!!
tattle tale is pumping fine.

does this help you?